More than 5 folding machines = no more room on the router

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

bdwilson

More than 5 folding machines = no more room on the router

Post by bdwilson »

What can I do if I want to build more than five single folding machines, but my internet access is dependent on a basic router with 5 "out" slots connected to a cable modem? Is there any non-fancy way to get more slots? I've built five separate folding PC's using some cheap cases and hard drives I had laying around..and those machines being connected via 5 ethernet cables to my router. There are no more spots in for new connections and I'd like to get at least two more folding machines done before the end of the year. I was thinking about buying a few wireless USB adapters and turning them into wireless folders, but would rather go wired if possible. (It just feels more "solid" to me.) ;)

Do I need to buy another cable modem and pay the cable company extra $$ per month for the privilege of having two of them, or is there a cheaper way to get more connections?
bollix47

Re: More than 5 folding machines = no more room on the route

Post by bollix47 »

You could buy an 8 port switch for less than $50 which would meet your current and future needs.

Just google for "8 port ethernet switch". They're easy to set up. Basically just run one cable from router to the switch and you'll have 6 extra ports in total since you will have to move one of your existing cables from the router to the switch to make room on the router for the cable running between the router and the switch.
bruce

Post by bruce »

... or a 4-port switch is probably cheaper as long as you choose to limit yourself to 3 extra ports.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

Heck, here's a well-rated 8-port switch for $15: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817130101
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

bruce wrote:... or a 4-port switch is probably cheaper as long as you choose to limit yourself to 3 extra ports.

I did consider a 4-port switch but it would only end up giving 2 extra ports.
... at least two more folding machines done before the end of the year.
Yes, my $50 dollar figure was just the first one I saw when I googled. In fact most are under $30. :ewink:
bruce

Post by bruce »

We're both right.

Some 8 port hubs/switches have 8 open ports plus an extra for connecting to the LAN. Ditto for 4 port devices that may have 5 ports. Historically, one port was cross-wired and N others were available but that has changed since modern devices automatically figure out whether you need a cross-over cable or not and make it work either way.
Leonardo
Hardware configuration: GPU slots on home-built, purpose-built PCs.

Post by Leonardo »

It might be less expensive to purchase two 4-port switches. Attach each switch to a separate port from the router. If the price isn't too high for you, get the gigabit-capable switches. Some of the older switches are only 100mbit-capable. If you frequently, or even just occasionally, move large amounts of data between computers on a home network, the gigabit models can make a significant speed difference, assuming the computers' Ehternet ports are also gigabit capable.
bdwilson

Post by bdwilson »

wow, so that's all you need to do...run an ethernet cable from the router to the switch and it automatically gives you extra outlets? That's pretty awesome. Thanks yall.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Leonardo wrote:
It might be less expensive to purchase two 4-port switches. Attach each switch to a separate port from the router. If the price isn't too high for you, get the gigabit-capable switches. Some of the older switches are only 100mbit-capable. If you frequently, or even just occasionally, move large amounts of data between computers on a home network, the gigabit models can make a significant speed difference, assuming the computers' Ehternet ports are also gigabit capable.
Note: if you frequently move large amounts of data to/from the internet, gigabit won't help because it's limited by the connection to your ISP. It does make a big difference if you copying large files from the upstairs computer to the downstairs computer provided they both support gigabit, and it still may be worth paying a little more for the switch now in anticipation of future computer upgrades even if your computers are still limited to 100 mbit.