Hardware configuration: Atom330 (overclocked):
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Intel Atom330 dualcore (4 HyperThreads)
NVidia GT430, core_15 work
2x2GB Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/4G 1333MHz memory kit
Asus AT3IONT-I Deluxe motherboard

Re: Why are you folding?

Post by Napoleon »

Took me this long to notice, but client v7.2.9 actually has a "Cause Preference" dropdown menu under Configure => Advanced. Choices are Any/Alzheimer's/Cancer/Huntington's/Parkinson's. No guarantees are given about getting WUs related to a particular ailment, nor am I sure if the choice actually affects assignments right now. But looks like we're getting there.
Win7 64bit, FAH v7, OC'd
2C/4T Atom330 3x667MHz - GT430 2x832.5MHz - ION iGPU 3x466.7MHz
NaCl - Core_15 - display
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Client supports it, not yet supported on the servers. No influence to WU selection yet.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
HuntWarrior
Hardware configuration: Windows 7 intel Ci7 2.80 Ghz + HD6700

Post by HuntWarrior »

Well that's a start!
The intention must be there to adapt the servers too...
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Correct. So when the servers do support it, we don't have to wait for a client update to start using it. Call it a preview... ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

I fold on one PC 24/7 in memory of my father who suffered in his final years from Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. If I can help in any way to alleviate the suffering of other Alzheimer's or Parkinson's patients and their families, I will continue folding.
HuntWarrior
Hardware configuration: Windows 7 intel Ci7 2.80 Ghz + HD6700

Post by HuntWarrior »

Sorry for your loss JCM3500!

But for Alzheimers you can continue folding, there is enough to crunch.
Folding for a cure for Huntington's Disease! Team 46113 since 2004 pls look at http://en.hdbuzz.net/ so far in 13 languages and http://hdyo.org in English, Spanish and German so far, interperters are welcome!
tank1023

Post by tank1023 »

My Grandmother has Alzheimer's and there's still no cure
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

tank1023 wrote:My Grandmother has Alzheimer's and there's still no cure
Hi, tank1023:

I wish you and your grandmother well.

John
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

HuntWarrior wrote:Sorry for your loss JCM3500!

But for Alzheimers you can continue folding, there is enough to crunch.
Thanks, HuntWarrior, I will continue. I will be able to crunch more once I have determined how to recover lost tasks after a Win7 update....

John
bruce

Post by bruce »

JCM3500 wrote:... once I have determined how to recover lost tasks after a Win7 update....
You may or may not be able to successfully recover lost assignments. Be sure to check the Project/Run/Clone/Gen numbers in the current and previous logs and compare all recent uploads and downloads against what you're working on now.

The server attempts to reassign WUs that it thinks you're supposed. The client attempts to report WUs that were discarded so they can be reassigned promptly. Either way, trying to recover them now very likely won't work. If you find a backup and resume work on a WU that has already been returned (completed or reported as incomplete) the server will reject the second copy of the same WU, even if you complete one that was reported as incomplete.
Barry

Post by Barry »

When I transitioned from my Commodore 64 to my Gateway I heard about SETI distributed computing and looked down a list of other distributed computing projects and I chose the most important one. I stopped when the screensaver kept crashing, started again when I added more RAM, stopped when it still crashed, and started again recently on Windows 7.
Vintervilan

Post by Vintervilan »

My very first post on this forum and a very suitable topic it is. I started folding in 2009 when my mother was diagnosed with cancer. I folded off and on for a while and I really felt that I contributed. Then I started gaming again and I "needed" so my folding stopped. Then I lost my mother, sadly, and I've been folding 8+ hours per day ever since. If I can make the slightest difference, it's worth it.
Idlingbrony
Hardware configuration: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor (6 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570 Classified

Post by Idlingbrony »

I am folding because I feel like I'm wasting electricity and the might within my computer by idling around surfing the internet or watching movies. Also I hope that the computing power and extra electricity eventually lead to something beneficial. Lastly the extra heat generated by the computer keeps my room warm during the colder months :p now I just need to get out of this college environment, get a job and nab some water cooling so I can fold year round without worry.
lundrog

Why Do you fold?

Post by lundrog »

Mod edit - merged with existing topic

I wanted to start a Thread on the reason behind why you fold.

I will go first.

I was recently diagnosis with Type 1 diabetes. This has been a struggle, a life changer and more. It has cost me much, and made me look at life in different eyes. I recently built the rig I am folding on now.

i5 3570K@ 4.8 GHZ
Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
2X Vengeance Series 8GB DDR3-1600 Kits
2X EVGA GTX 680 Classified in SLI
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 Water Cooler in Push / Pull
3x Crucial C400 128GB, 3x Samsung 840 pro Raid 0 Crucial C400 128GB boot drive.
PC Power & Cooling 950
Define R4 Black Pearl
Here is a full Picture. http://photography.rogerlund.net/Other/ ... 0PM-XL.jpg

I have had friends and family, that have been effected by many of the things folding works to cure. My grandfather battled Cancer before the end, and my grandmother died battling Cancer in the Brain. And my wife's Grandmother lived with, and died with Alzheimer's.

Off the top, a poem inspired by Relic at the [H] Forum's.

I fold because I must
Life is about things like trust.
Here I make my stand
I open my heart, and open my hand.
We all need hope to live
This is something I have give
I do this without lust.
To many the world has gone bust.
My eyes beam with tears.
My Hearts fills with fears.
Then I see the shine of hope.
Then I shed the need for drugs and dope.
Through the sorrow I see each of you.
Thank you for giving more than your due

Roger Lund
Roger Lund - Turbo VMware Nerd.
:i7 3930K@ 4.2 GHZ - 4X EVGA GTX 680 Classified in SLI
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64

Post by art_l_j_PlanetAMD64 »

Well, I do like the idea that my computers are helping in the battle against those ailments, but I would be lying if I said that that was the only reason.

I do enjoy getting lots of PPD and Total Points. The awarding of points, and especially the QRB idea, is absolutely brilliant. I'm sure that it's a big motivator for many people (including me) to do their utmost for the project. At one time (June 2010), I had a total of 19 FAH computers running 19 CPUs and 18 GPUs 24/7/365. At that time, the roughly 120k PPD I was getting put me into the top 100 of all folders, in terms of PPD. Far different from Today! :wink:
Now I make do with 5 computers (3 Windows and 2 Linux), running 5 CPUs and 4 GPUs (will be 6 GPUs with the Linux GPU client), getting about 72k PPD (latest average from Kakao Stats). With that, I am 'treading water' at an Overall rank (if points are combined) of 603 of 1669056 (my current stats at the Stanford stats site).

I also greatly enjoy the FAH community here at the forum. Although there are lots of people here who know way more than I do, I do enjoy being able to help with diagnosing and fixing problems that folders are having. It really makes you feel great when someone says: "Thanks for your help, my problem is solved now!". :D
art_l_j_PlanetAMD64
Over 1.04 Billion Total Points
Over 185,000 Work Units
Over 3,800,000 PPD
Overall rank (if points are combined) 20 of 1721690
In memory of my Mother May 12th 1923 - February 10th 2012