Why are you folding?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Starduster
Hardware configuration: Dell Optiplex 3020 SFF; Intel Core i7-4790, 16 GB mem, 512 Gb SSD; AMD Radeon Pro WX-2100, 2 GB.

Re: Why are you folding?

Post by Starduster »

The prelude- I had just finished up a 20 year career as a computer/printer/flat screen TV/etc. warranty repair person. A retirement that was pushed forward 5 months by the COVID Pandemic shutdown. I never thought I would be happy to be laid off. Yet there I was.

The Dell Optiplex 745 that carried me to retirement was finally no longer fast enough for daily work, so I replaced it with an ex-office Optiplex 3020 SFF. And started to fiddle immediately. So now it runs with an i7-4790 CPU, with *many* cooling tweaks to keep it reasonably comfy, and an AMD Radeon Pro WX-2100 GPU. Dell's own support forum led me to the Optiplex Owners' Group on FB, whose page founder is the leading contributor to team Optiplex Folders at F@H. Which led me here.

Coronavirus was the driving factor to get me started (What's happening with the COVID Moonshot, btw?), but not the only one. Too many friends and spouses of family have died from cancer, the stock car hero of my youth suffers from Alzheimer's, so... plenty of need. My modest office machine is a pipsqueak compared to the firepower of serious gaming and server grade equipment, but I am happy to make this machine work towards treatment and cures.

I would rather do this than gaming.

I would *SO MUCH* rather do this than...Mining.