Ubuntu

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

12th_Man

Ubuntu

Post by 12th_Man »

I need a simple way to install on Ubuntu. I'm not linux savy but I can copy and paste into the terminal but it's not working. I would be able to run more instances if I could put it on Ubuntu machines.
Thanks.
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Re: Ubuntu

Post by Jesse_V »

Hi there 12th_Man, welcome to the F@h support forum!

Did you see these pages?
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinUNIGuide
http://folding.stanford.edu/English/LinSMPGuide

I don't know exactly what client you are trying to install, but those pages are a good place to start. I've only installed on Ubuntu once, but I know that if you Google "how to install Folding@home on ubuntu" you'll find some additional guides as well.

EDIT: I was just informed by Leonardo that this is one of the best Linux guides out there: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601608 Good luck :D
EDIT2: Ok, so some people like that guide, and some people don't. It's entirely your choice which one you want to use, they should all do the same thing in the end.
Last edited by Jesse_V on Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

Welcome 12th_man.

I have to say that that guide over at [H] is extremely simple to use, like you I am a windows person but that guide is simple to use and i now have 2 machines running ubuntu, each machine takes about an hour to get set up and folding, then just leave it humming away in the corner.

The only thing I do differently is burn ubuntu onto a CD for the install
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

It only takes about 6 steps to install and run. The official fah guide covers that without all the extra junk (samba?) and overt team recruitment that other guide contains.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
PinHead
Hardware configuration: Quad Q9550 2.83 contains the GPU 57xx - running SMP and GPU
Quad Q6700 2.66 running just SMP
2P 32core Interlagos SMP on linux

Post by PinHead »

Hi 12th_Man,

It would help a lot to know what version of Ubuntu you are running and where in the guides that Jesse_V linked, that you are having issues? Maybe even error messages that you get?