[Linux] passing parameters to the "native" client

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

csvanefalk

[Linux] passing parameters to the "native" client

Post by csvanefalk »

After installing the rpm for Fedora 17, every time I boot the system a FAH client will start running automatically. I just wondered how I can modify what parameters will be passed to this client upon startup? For example, what should I do to get this client to start with the -bigadv and -smp 12 flags set?

Thanks in advance!!
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: [Linux] passing parameters to the "native" client

Post by 7im »

How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
csvanefalk

Post by csvanefalk »

Thanks for the reply 7im, but I was looking for a way to do this without resorting to the FAHControl, since both this and Viewer are broken under Linux (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=67&t=18073). It would be easier to just add a few lines to a config file, rather than hacking FAHControl to make it work. How can I do this? I'm sorry I did not state this in my OP.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Not broken, just a dependency issue with workarounds available.

I've only played with Fedora up through 16. What message did you get when installing FAHControl in F17?

Also, here are some of the posted options that can be passed via a command line, but probably not the solution you need since fahclient is running as a service.
https://fah-web.stanford.edu/projects/F ... ncesV6ToV7
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
csvanefalk

Post by csvanefalk »

It seems the config file I am looking for is simply config.xml...very obvious solution to this problem in other words, I need to start digging deeper before I post, sorry about that.

As for the problems, I posted them in the thread I linked (it seems more on topic there). I am going to see if I can get the workarounds going. Thanks again for helping me out!
gwildperson

Post by gwildperson »

You can edit config.xml manually but do so at your own risk. It will accept all the settings you might want to edit with FAHControl. FAHClient, itself accepts very vew command line parameters but rather accepts them via telnet from another program such as FAHControl.