Help editing gpu.txt

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JollyArmadillo

Help editing gpu.txt

Post by JollyArmadillo »

Okay, so I feel pretty stupid here, I am typically somewhat tech savvy. But for some reason I am having a hard time editing the gpu.txt file. I have a GTX 555 which I believe was recently added to the GPU.txt whitelist, but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. I've searched the boards and went to the instructions link but for some reason I just cannot get it to work. I feel really stupid asking this, but can someone please give me a step by step walkthrough, I really feel as if though I am missing a very simply step here.
bollix47

Re: Help editing gpu.txt

Post by bollix47 »

Editing your copy of gpus.txt does no good if the file hasn't been updated on the server:

viewtopic.php?p=216426#p216426
hyphentech

Post by hyphentech »

Hello Dear,

V6 has a -forcegpu flag allowing you to fold on unauthorized GPUs. V7 does NOT have that capability. Every GPU must be authorized by Stanford, and at that time, they will add it to both the Server's list and to GPUs.txt.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Good suggestion. However the term authorized or unauthorized may not be the best word to describe how GPUs work in the v6 client. The GPU either meets the v6 client hardware requirement to run the fahcore, or it does not. And newer hardware that is not automatically detected, but that meets the reqs, can fold using that forcegpu switch. "Authorized" makes it sound like Pande Group has an active role in determining which GPUs can fold in v6, and they do not take an active roll. Also, "unauthorized" makes it sound like the donors are doing something underhanded, and they are not.

But as noted, V7 uses a different model. Enabled or whitelisted are the "active" terms commonly being used for that.

One forum user to another... ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.