Cannot identify on 1024X600 screen. (linux)

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Daedalus

Cannot identify on 1024X600 screen. (linux)

Post by Daedalus »

I try to run f@h on Lubuntu on my netbook. You may be not interested in adding a small 800 mhz celeron to the project but then say it out loud. In the f@h control program, both the "connexion" and "identify" tabs must have a confirmation button invisible on my 1024X600 screen.

Client halted, your move folding.
bruce

Re: Cannot identify on 1024X600 screen. (linux)

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, Daedalus

It's not a Linux problem, it applies to all three platforms. I've had the same problem on my Windows netbook -- wide screen/not very tall. I don't think there was a ticket opened for this problem so I opened one.

Until it gets fixed, can you adjust the screen resolution temporarily? Of the choices I have for vertical resolution, 720 works OK and 600 does not. (Even though the panel might be 600 high, by the time the borders/taskbar/etc. are filled up by Windows, the buttons are no longer visible.)
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Thank you for your kind answer, bruce.

I cannot widen the resolution past 1024X600, i can reduce it to 800X600 and 640X480 but it just worsens the problem. It is especialy frustrating since there is some blank space on that window.

I will try later while bringing this netbook in a place with VGA CRT's. No HDMI on this old EEPC 900SD.

By the way, my implicit question still stands: is it useful i attach such a slow machine to f@h ?
bruce

Post by bruce »

They say "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" which is to say different folks will answer that question differently. Stanford is appreciative of EVERY contribution.

Your Celeron is slow by today's standards, but it still exceeds the minimum requirements to fold -- provided the heat-sink is still clean enough to keep it from overheating when running 24x7. The ultimate requirement is that you have to meet the deadlines and if you don't plan to run 24x7, that hardware probably can't meet the deadlines.