Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Blog post: "Unified GPU/SMP benchmarking scheme ..."

Post by Jesse_V »

I just saw this on my RSS reader and thought that this blog post was a pretty significant announcement.
Dr. Pande has said that they'd like more GPU clients folding. This will definitely help:

Unified GPU/SMP benchmarking scheme: equal points for equal work
The current benchmarking calculations for SMP and GPU projects are performed on different machines since originally the SMP cores could not perform the calculations that the GPUs cores could and vice versa (GPUs were only for implicit solvent calculations and SMP only for explicit solvent calculations). With recent advances in both cores and completion of our testing of these capabilities to ensure agreement, we are now confident we can do the same work on both cores. Thus, we feel that it is time to unify GPU and SMP benchmarking, both for simplicity and fairness.

In order to complete the move towards this plan of "equal points for equal work," new GPU projects will be benchmarked using the existing SMP benchmarking scheme. Based on our internal tests, the end effect of this new, unified benchmarking scheme would boost the points for the GPU projects, both in terms of base points but also by bringing Quick Return Bonuses to GPU clients. In order to test the new scheme, we have started a GPU3 project (Project ID: 8057) and released it for beta testing. Once the benchmarking scheme has been tested, all the current GPU projects will be re-benchmarked to reflect the changes in the benchmarking scheme.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
jimerickson
Hardware configuration: Parts:
Asus H370 Mining Master motherboard (X2)
Patriot Viper DDR4 memory 16gb stick (X4)
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 gpu (X16)
Intel Core i7 8700 cpu (X2)
Silverstone 1000 watt psu (X4)
Veddha 8 gpu miner case (X2)
Thermaltake hsf (X2)
Ubit riser card (X16)

Re: Blog post: "Unified GPU/SMP benchmarking scheme ..."

Post by jimerickson »

so this is a big step towards qrb for gpu?
Nathan_P
Hardware configuration: Asus Z8NA D6C, 2 x5670@3.2 Ghz, , 12gb Ram, GTX 980ti, AX650 PSU, win 10 (daily use)

Asus Z87 WS, Xeon E3-1230L v3, 8gb ram, KFA GTX 1080, EVGA 750ti , AX760 PSU, Mint 18.2 OS

Not currently folding
Asus Z9PE- D8 WS, 2 E5-2665@2.3 Ghz, 16Gb 1.35v Ram, Ubuntu (Fold only)
Asus Z9PA, 2 Ivy 12 core, 16gb Ram, H folding appliance (fold only)

Post by Nathan_P »

I'm assuming that this will not just be restricted to nvidia GPU's?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

jimerickson wrote:so this is a big step towards qrb for gpu?
It would appear so.
Nathan_P wrote:I'm assuming that this will not just be restricted to nvidia GPU's?
ATI wasn't specifically mentioned, so I think that can be assumed AFAIK.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
SwingOp3

Post by SwingOp3 »

Will these be available using V7 and the "advanced" tag?
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

As far as I understand it will be for closed beta 1st
FAH Beta tester
Jesse_V
Site Moderator

Post by Jesse_V »

muziqaz wrote:As far as I understand it will be for closed beta 1st
I think you mean Beta Team testers, like everyone in viewforum.php?f=66
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

Jesse_V wrote:
muziqaz wrote:As far as I understand it will be for closed beta 1st
I think you mean Beta Team testers, like everyone in viewforum.php?f=66
Yes. That is Closed Beta. Open beta is advmethods guys ;)
FAH Beta tester
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

It looks like the unification between gpu/cpu is being driven by the improvements enabled by gromacs 4.6 so gromacs is certainly making strides.

I'm pretty confident the AMD issues are more due to the constantly moving goal posts and openCL (and its adoption by AMD) being much much younger than CUDA.
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin »

Nathan_P wrote:I'm assuming that this will not just be restricted to nvidia GPU's?
Probably, at least until AMD gets their stuff together with their OpenCL compiler.
mdk777

Post by mdk777 »

Probably, at least until AMD gets their stuff together with their OpenCL compiler.
Link ?

Tools exist(compilers,SDK, debugging suite) , doesn't mean they are being used..... :wink: :mrgreen:
Transparency and Accountability, the necessary foundation of any great endeavor!
Evil Penguin

Post by Evil Penguin »

Sorry, meant probably will be restricted until... AMD gets their stuff together with their OpenCL compiler.
k1wi

Post by k1wi »

I appreciate that everyone has seemed to have focused on what this will mean in terms of PPD, QRB and whether AMD or NVidia will 'get it', but I really think the second half of the first sentence and the second sentence mean a hell of a lot more for the science of folding@home:
originally the SMP cores could not perform the calculations that the GPUs cores could and vice versa (GPUs were only for implicit solvent calculations and SMP only for explicit solvent calculations). With recent advances in both cores and completion of our testing of these capabilities to ensure agreement, we are now confident we can do the same work on both cores.
kiore

Post by kiore »

k1wi wrote:I appreciate that everyone has seemed to have focused on what this will mean in terms of PPD, QRB and whether AMD or NVidia will 'get it', but I really think the second half of the first sentence and the second sentence mean a hell of a lot more for the science of folding@home:
originally the SMP cores could not perform the calculations that the GPUs cores could and vice versa (GPUs were only for implicit solvent calculations and SMP only for explicit solvent calculations). With recent advances in both cores and completion of our testing of these capabilities to ensure agreement, we are now confident we can do the same work on both cores.
I am also hopefulthat this will mean a huge leap in productivity and participation.. Adding a GPU is one of the easiest upgrades to existing systems and although the electricity usage has been high going the GPU route rather than multi cpus, I see the potential if this works out for encouraging people to upgrade, or throwing a GPU in that 'old boxen' and firing it up again. This could be a boost to hardware spending like Big Advanced was.. At the very least encouraging those who already have the hardware but are not folding on it.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
KWSN_PToT
Hardware configuration: ========== RIG #0 ==========
Sony PS3
========== RIG #1 ==========
CPU: AMD Phenom II 965 BE
MEM: OCZ 8GB DDR3 (4x2GB)
GPU: ASUS GTX-560ti (448 core)
GPU: ASUS GTX-560ti (384 core)
PSU: Thermaltake 1200W
HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
========== RIG #2 ==========
CPU: AMD FX-8120
MEM: Crucial 8GB DDR3 (4x2GB)
GPU: MSI GTX-560ti (384 core)
PSU: DiabloTek 600W
HDD: Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM
========== RIG #3 ==========
CPU: AMD FX-8150
MEM: Corsair 32GB DDR3 (4x8GB)
GPU: EVGA GTX-690 (3072 core)
PSU: OCZ 1250W 80-Plus Gold
SSD: OCZ Vertex-4 256GB
HDD: (2) Seagate Baracuda 1TB 7200 RPM

Post by KWSN_PToT »

kiore wrote:...
I am also hopeful that this will mean a huge leap in productivity and participation. Adding a GPU is one of the easiest upgrades to existing systems and although the electricity usage has been high going the GPU route rather than multi cpus, I see the potential if this works out for encouraging people to upgrade, or throwing a GPU in that 'old boxen' and firing it up again. This could be a boost to hardware spending like Big Advanced was.. At the very least encouraging those who already have the hardware but are not folding on it.
I think this will have a chilling effect on those with older equipment.
There are many dedicated folders (veterans of many years) who are not able to afford to upgrade their hardware every few months/years.
Now, there is an added dis-incentive: Early Return Bonus (for GPUs).

Some members of my team have expressed dismay at this move, and are seriously considering dropping F@H for BOINC/WCG.

As an alternative to Dr. Pande's suggestion of unification (which actually gives unfair advantage to newer/faster hdwe), why not give bonus points for "consistent" contribution (over some period of months or years)???

I happen to be the #1 point-holder on my team (at the time of this post) and I have made a significant investment (recently) in newer hardware.
And still, I think this move is manifestly unfair to others who have provided many years of contribution (but their wallets and/or life-priorities will not allow them to upgrade).

Sorry to be such a Negative-Ned, but I'm scoring the objectives as...
Simplification: Marginal PASS.
Fairness: FAIL.