How do I turn the damn thing off?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

mtmacphee

How do I turn the damn thing off?

Post by mtmacphee »

Latest Mac OS X, latest iMac 27" loaded, penultimate MacBook Air 11" loaded, FaH Client Control 7.2.9

I realize these questions just make me stupid, but I'm old enough not to care. :)

I can't use my MacBook Air on battery any more, 'cause it dies in less than an hour 'cause it's busy folding proteins. Looking through the Forum, it seems that there are switches to turn off folding while on battery power, but I see no such setting for OS X. If I "Quit" the FaH Client, folding stops for a few seconds, but then start up again in its own daemonic way. There is no FaH listing in the "Login Items" of Users. It's not even clear to me how to remove FaH. I don't see an uninstaller, and the components seem to way down deep in the system, unavailable to normal search tools. I don't want to uninstall FaH, but I may have to to use my laptop for its main purposes, rather than these secondary ones.

Help!

MIke

PS What's a "Passkey", and should I have one?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: How do I turn the damn thing off?

Post by Joe_H »

The default install should pause when on battery, it is possible you changed that sometime. Killing the FAHClient is not how to stop the WU processing, just press the Pause button in FAHControl. You can set the pause on battery control back on, add the option pause-on-battery and set it to true using the Configure button.

As for an uninstaller, that can be downloaded from near the bottom of this page if you do choose to remove the client. The Passkey FAQ goes into what it is and what you get for using a passkey. The main thing you get is being qualified for the Quick Return Bonus (QRB).

P.S. The options for controlling the F@H software in V7 are the same for Windows, Linux and OS X. You might find the most recent release of V7 useful, it has a simplified web interface where you just put the slider to Off when you want to stop folding. 7.3.6 also has defaults for use with a laptop that are less aggressive in CPU usage, and defaults to not folding when on battery.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
bruce

Post by bruce »

Welcome to foldingforum.org, mtmacphee.

Are you running the latest version of FAH? Are you using a browser-based client called Web Control or a stand-alone program called FAHControl or Advanced Control?

I have not run the most recent OS-X client so I can't provide detailed information unless it's the same as the Linux or Windows versions but it's my understanding that laptops will default to a setting that will pause when on battery. If you have you adjusted the slider to "FULL" perhaps you're causing the problem by doing that.

See:ClientPerformanceLevels. It specifically says that it turns FAH off when on battery for LIGHT and lower settings. You should you consider a higher setting ONLY if you leave it plugged in.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Pause on battery always defaults to true.
Some power settings in 7.3.6 may pause on battery even if you de-selected it.
Checkbox is in FAHControl > Configure > Advanced.
If you have a popup menu in your toolbar that says "Novice", you need to change that to "Advanced" or "Expert" first.
Pause on battery should still work, even if power level is 'full'.
mtmacphee

Post by mtmacphee »

Thank you all. Imagine having an all new client appear only a few weeks after my initial installation which clearly takes care of all the issues! I shall now contentedly continue folding, with proper battery life to boot.

Thanks again, everyone.

Mike
patonb
Hardware configuration: WooHoo= SR-2 -- L5639 @ ?? -- Evga 560ti FPB -- 12Gig Corsair XMS3 -- Corsair 1050hx -- Blackhawk Ultra

Foldie = @3.2Ghz -- Noctua NH-U12 -- BFG GTX 260-216 -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- x58a-ud3r -- 6Gig OCZ Gold -- hx520

Post by patonb »

Okay I've folded for years and had to ask this last month too.
WooHoo = L5639 @ 3.3Ghz Evga SR-2 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 CM 212+ Corsair 1050hx Blackhawk Ultra EVGA 560ti

Foldie = i7 950@ 4.0Ghz x58a-ud3r 216-216 @ 850/2000 3x2gb OCZ Gold NH-u12 Heatsink Corsair hx520 Antec 900