Question about graphics card

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

TBell_tribute

Question about graphics card

Post by TBell_tribute »

Hi, semi-new to folding. I have a Windows 7 machine with a MS HD6450 graphics card. The chipset is: Radeon HD6450 Engine Clock: 625 MHz Video Memory: 1GB DDR3. It is supposed to be an ATI HD6450.

The full specs can be found on Amazon if you search for: "MSI ATI Radeon HD6450" Sorry, I can't seem to post URLs yet.

Should I be able to run FAH on this graphics card? If not, can you suggest an inexpensive card I can devote solely to running FAH? I would like to keep running my two monitors off the motherboard and dedicate the GPU to FAH. (I'm a programmer and Web surfer, not a game player.)

Thanks
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Re: Question about graphics card

Post by Zagen30 »

Yeah, they ban posting links on new accounts to keep out spammers. I think it's been years since the last time I saw spam here, so it seems to work.

The 6450 should run, but it won't be very productive. I'm not sure how well it'll be able to make the deadlines on work units, however, given this:
n_w95482 wrote:I tried folding on a HD 7470, which is basically a faster 6450. If I remember right, it either didn't make the deadline, or was very close to it (within a couple of hours).
I can't tell for sure if that was a 24/7 card, and that was the best report I could find.

The current hotness in lowish-cost folding cards is the 750 Ti. Maxwell is pretty powerful at folding in comparison to the previous-gen cards at each price point, and this model gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 60-80k PPD depending on project and overclock (the 6450 might be lucky to hit 5k). I'm not sure if ~$130 is outside your budget, however. Below that there's not a lot of reports- the non-Ti version of the 750 should also do pretty nicely for the cost, but it's not that much cheaper. Sub-$100 I'm just not sure. this thread popped up a couple of days ago, but it's hardly exhaustive.