problem with gpu slot on MacBook Air

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hal94000

problem with gpu slot on MacBook Air

Post by hal94000 »

Hello,
I set up fahcontrol on gpu from a mac book air and now the client hangs on connection. I tried to erase everything, but impossible. I am local address 127.0.0.1 port 36330
Help me because I would like to participate in the covid-19
DanGe
Hardware configuration: 2018 Mac Mini / MacOS Catalina
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 (eGPU via Sonnet Breakaway Box 550)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Re: problem with gpu slot on MacBook Air

Post by DanGe »

See the pinned announcement post.

Also I hate to be a killjoy, but the MacOS client doesn't support GPU folding for a bunch of reasons, but it still does CPU projects.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: problem with gpu slot on MacBook Air

Post by Joe_H »

Are you trying to do this with macOS? If so, GPU folding is not supported. You can only do this on Linux and Windows.

I have not been following the newest models of Mac's, but the last I knew none of the MacBook Air models had discrete GPUs, just iGPU on the Intel processor. Those Intel iGPUs are not supported for GPU folding.

You can fold using the CPU.

Here are some directions for getting folding client straightened out if you are using macOS:

In the Applications folder there will be a folder for Folding@home. Inside that folder there is an Uninstall package, run that to remove the client.

Next go to the Library folder, then inside that open the Application Support folder and move a folder named FAHClient to the Trash. You may be prompted fro an admin password. Now you can reinstall the F@h software. You may want to save the config.xml file from the trashed FAHClient folder. From that you can copy and paste your username, team and passkey to you fresh install.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3