Missing Command Line Only FAHClient link missing from site.

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ratspeed

Missing Command Line Only FAHClient link missing from site.

Post by ratspeed »

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... e-options/
The plain command line only FAHClient tarball is available for download here.
There is no hyperlink. :(

I have a spare headless machine I'd like to use for this, but I need the link to the command line only version of the software. Can anyone get hold of who needs to update the website so the link can be made available? Thanks!

Mod Edit: Fixed URL Link - PantherX
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Missing Command Line Only FAHClient link missing from si

Post by Joe_H »

The Alternate downloads link on the main Download page leads me to this which does have the links - https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/

Many links were broken when the website was moved from its former server at Stanford to the current site. As the person who formerly maintained most of the support pages is no longer around, the software developer does some maintenance of the pages until someone new takes on the assignment

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ratspeed

Post by ratspeed »

Joe_H wrote:The Alternate downloads link on the main Download page leads me to this which does have the links - https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/

Many links were broken when the website was moved from its former server at Stanford to the current site. As the person who formerly maintained most of the support pages is no longer around, the software developer does some maintenance of the pages until someone new takes on the assignment
Hi! Thanks for responding.

Yes, I saw the links on that page upon first inspection of the site, and .deb packages are fine, but the install instructions linked on that page Manual Installation – Optional (Advanced) states "This is not for Linux running in Terminal mode (no GUI)." Additionally, the instructions link to an older version of FAH's software (7.4.4). It is from there, under the FAQ page Command Line Only Options I discovered the page with the missing link.

I'm sure this is a quick fix, no? It's just a hyperlink. I would be happy to update the website for you if I had access, or if someone can point me in the direction of where to report website bugs. If there is no one in charge of maintaining the website during a pandemic, this might want to be rectified! Thanks!
Neil-B
Hardware configuration: 1: 2x Xeon E5-2697v3@2.60GHz, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, Win10 Ent 20H2, Quadro K420 1GB, FAH 7.6.21
2: Xeon E3-1505Mv5@2.80GHz, 32GB DDR4, NVME, Win10 Pro 20H2, Quadro M1000M 2GB, FAH 7.6.21 (actually have two of these)
3: i7-960@3.20GHz, 12GB DDR3, SSD, Win10 Pro 20H2, GTX 750Ti 2GB, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, FAH 7.6.21

Post by Neil-B »

To be fair to the team, whilst I understand how much of a pain an out of date website is, a bigger pain has been the need to scale up rapidly the part of the system that actually runs the science production and from what I have seen (all over the forums) that have been doing heroics on that - no doubt the website will be updated but at this time even more than ever it is getting the science done that counts.
2x Xeon E5-2697v3, 512GB DDR4 LRDIMM, SSD Raid, W10-Ent, Quadro K420
Xeon E3-1505Mv5, 32GB DDR4, NVME, W10-Pro, Quadro M1000M
i7-960, 12GB DDR3, SSD, W10-Pro, GTX1080Ti
i9-10850K, 64GB DDR4, NVME, W11-Pro, RTX3070

(Green/Bold = Active)
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

I think they overstate the case for the download page packages not being for the CLI. For that you just need FAHClient, if you choose the option to not autostart, that gives you the executable needed.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
NetoriusNick

Post by NetoriusNick »

Noob here looking to run on windows under commandline but can not find the download feeling VERY stupid
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

ratspeed wrote:
Joe_H wrote:The Alternate downloads link on the main Download page leads me to this which does have the links - https://foldingathome.org/alternative-downloads/

Hi! Thanks for responding.

Yes, I saw the links on that page upon first inspection of the site, and .deb packages are fine, but the install instructions linked on that page Manual Installation – Optional (Advanced) states "This is not for Linux running in Terminal mode (no GUI)." Additionally, the instructions link to an older version of FAH's software (7.4.4). It is from there, under the FAQ page Command Line Only Options I discovered the page with the missing link.

I'm sure this is a quick fix, no? It's just a hyperlink. I would be happy to update the website for you if I had access, or if someone can point me in the direction of where to report website bugs. If there is no one in charge of maintaining the website during a pandemic, this might want to be rectified! Thanks!
The instructions are a mess and have been a mess for years.

Things to know.

7.4.4 works fine on Linux. I've been running it since it was released. Currently running it on Debian 10 without issue for both SMP and GPU. All clients are console only. They extend that for people who arent good at Linux by packaging a GUI with it called FAHControl, to make it easy to use. For advanced users you can do something like this.

Code: Select all

$ mkdir ~/fahclient && mkdir /tmp/fah && cd /tmp/fah
$ wget https://download.foldingathome.org/releases/public/release/fahclient/debian-stable-64bit/v7.5/fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb
$ ar -x fahclient_7.5.1_amd64.deb
$ tar -xvJf data.tar.xz
$ mv usr/bin/FAH* ~/fahclient
$ cd ~/fahclient
$ chmod 0700 FAH*
$ nano -w config.xml
Now add the following to config.xml (if you want more options run the client with --help)

<config>
  <!-- Folding Core -->
  <checkpoint v='10'/>
  <cpu-usage v='100'/>

<!-- Folding Slot Configuration -->
  <client-type v='advanced'/>
  <cpus v='6'/>
  <extra-core-args v='  -service   '/>

<!-- HTTP Server -->
  <http-addresses v='127.0.0.1:7396'/>

<!-- Slot Control -->
  <power v='FULL'/>

<!-- User Information -->
  <passkey v='yourpasskey'/>
  <team v='yourteam'/>
  <user v='yourname'/>

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='1' type='SMP'/>
</config>
Change cpus to reflect how many cores you have. Slot type might be CPU on newer clients, but on 7.4.4 SMP works. CPU Usage can be tweaked.

Save it and run the client, to make sure it works. Press ctrl+c to kill it after it gets a workunit.

./FAHClient
If all is good then setup a startup script in whichever way you favour. I run all FAH clients from a unique user and use crontab to bring my clients up after the machine boots. You may use systemd. Its upto you how you do it.