quick quesition on multiple k2200 cards

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
jbzy3000

quick quesition on multiple k2200 cards

Post by jbzy3000 »

I am an amd guy but i have upgraded a couple of workstations and i now have a few k2200 cards laying around doing nothing. I fold on my gaming pc but its power hungry. I am thinking of putting together an amd low power system.
specs:
cpu -amd 200ge
ram- 4gb
mb - a320 or something on sale
gpu - 2 or 3 k22000
m.2 drive for storage
ubuntu stable, for os

i think that puts me puts at roughly 130 watts of power needed at full load. Thinking a 200 watt power supply would suffice or what ever i could find close to that power. Thinking of running it 24/7. How do i find the ppd estimated average fora setup like this. I thing the cpu is to weak to be used but the 640 cuda cores per gpu would be pretty good performance. I cant seem to figure out ppd stats. I did search for k2200 but only a whitelist post was found.

thanks
in advance
JimboPalmer

Re: quick quesition on multiple k2200 cards

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

The K2200 should fold

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/q ... 2200.c2601

It is usually more difficult to mix AMD and Nvidia cards, I would finish existing Work Units, copy down your various IDs and uninstall including data. Add all the cards and reinstall.

The install program does a better job of detecting hardware than the FAH client.

Performance might be similar to a GTX 750 ti
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
jbzy3000

Post by jbzy3000 »

Thanks I gouged it out and its doing working units but the issue is I don’t see any of my points in stats. I did see where it uploaded the finished information. I was excited but none of my work was noted on the donor stats lookup page.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

There can be delays between the WU getting returned, the points for that getting entered into database, and then displaying. It has become more of n issue due to the sheer volume of entries to be entered from everyone who just joined.

At least a WU from your system has gone through the returned and entered into the database steps:
Hi jbzy3000 (team 0), Your WU (P11778 R0 C9715 G11) was added to the stats database on Invalid Date for 9405 points of credit

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

[Understand that I am just a volunteer folder like yourself, no special knowledge other than 40 years of programming computers, but nothing like this]

One Friday almost 3 weeks ago Follding@Home grew by 4 times in one day, in the next two weeks, 20 times as many people wanted to fold.

The hardware infrastructure was not ready for this growth, so the amount of work done has been rising steadily but not (yet) by 20 to 1.

We seem to be up to 12 to 1, so if they can find twice as many servers, we can do twice as much work.

But looking at your problem, the stats server is getting 12 times as much data to record as 3 weeks ago. It is lagging badly. It often takes 9 hours to do what used to be hourly.

If you were a biochemist and you could invest in a server that might yield twice as much work on proteins , or a server for more timely stats, where would you invest? I am sure the stats server will get updated someday, I am just not promising when.

As I say, this is just my impression.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

jbzy3000 wrote:...i think that puts me puts at roughly 130 watts of power needed at full load. Thinking a 200 watt power supply would suffice or what ever i could find close to that power. Thinking of running it 24/7...
Welcome to the F@H Forum jbzy3000,

Regarding the PSU, if the calculated wattage is 200, then double it to 400 as most PSUs operate at the highest efficiency when the load is around 50%

Other things to consider:
Get a Titanium rated PSU as they are the most power efficient: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
Get a branded PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/2 ... -really-is
If you plan to continue folding for years, think about the future, i.e. invest in a decent high wattage PSU which means you can re-use over the years for different builds.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
kiore

Post by kiore »

PantherX wrote:
jbzy3000 wrote:...i think that puts me puts at roughly 130 watts of power needed at full load. Thinking a 200 watt power supply would suffice or what ever i could find close to that power. Thinking of running it 24/7...
Welcome to the F@H Forum jbzy3000,

Regarding the PSU, if the calculated wattage is 200, then double it to 400 as most PSUs operate at the highest efficiency when the load is around 50%

Other things to consider:
Get a Titanium rated PSU as they are the most power efficient: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
Get a branded PSU: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/2 ... -really-is
If you plan to continue folding for years, think about the future, i.e. invest in a decent high wattage PSU which means you can re-use over the years for different builds.
Absolutely with Px on this one, no one every complained that their PSU is too reliable, high quality PSU have lasted me multiple builds and outlasted GPUs.
Really sweet spot for high quality PSUs tend to be at 650 watts, below 500 and manufacturers are not really producing platinum or even bronze rated PSUs. For a build the PSU cost is really not that big a proportion of the total cost.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
jbzy3000

Post by jbzy3000 »

ok thanks guys. I am using an older computer and this think has a matx motherboard. So all plans scrapped, but it has a 1050 in it so ill jsut use that and let it run 24/. Ill put on of the k2200 in my ain machine and let that run when im on it. LOL how did i end up with so many video cards. I may buy a motherboard and redo it at a later date. Uggh the wife is going to kill me, looking at a decent powersupply now. Hope to have everything up and running by the weekend as long as deliveries are fairly quick.
jbzy3000

Post by jbzy3000 »

JimboPalmer wrote:[Understand that I am just a volunteer folder like yourself, no special knowledge other than 40 years of programming computers, but nothing like this]

One Friday almost 3 weeks ago Follding@Home grew by 4 times in one day, in the next two weeks, 20 times as many people wanted to fold.

The hardware infrastructure was not ready for this growth, so the amount of work done has been rising steadily but not (yet) by 20 to 1.

We seem to be up to 12 to 1, so if they can find twice as many servers, we can do twice as much work.

But looking at your problem, the stats server is getting 12 times as much data to record as 3 weeks ago. It is lagging badly. It often takes 9 hours to do what used to be hourly.

If you were a biochemist and you could invest in a server that might yield twice as much work on proteins , or a server for more timely stats, where would you invest? I am sure the stats server will get updated someday, I am just not promising when.

As I say, this is just my impression.
In agreement. I am more worried about my work wasting the time of the scientist. If i take a wu and it doesnt come back timely or isnt being submitted, i have wasted time and a wu. I am trying to work out the bugs and kinks before i shell out some cash and let it run. I want to make sure it is running well so i dont have to keep trying fix things, when i barely understand what its doing. I have worked on scaling projects and setup server farms. The software wasnt my thing, i am a hardware and networking guy. Retired for IT and kinda bored. So this seemed cool, but i just hate to think I wasted peoples time/money.
jbzy3000

Post by jbzy3000 »

Joe_H wrote:There can be delays between the WU getting returned, the points for that getting entered into database, and then displaying. It has become more of n issue due to the sheer volume of entries to be entered from everyone who just joined.

At least a WU from your system has gone through the returned and entered into the database steps:
Hi jbzy3000 (team 0), Your WU (P11778 R0 C9715 G11) was added to the stats database on Invalid Date for 9405 points of credit
how did you find this. I am doing all this wrong i think. I did see i have a couple of work_ack. I am assuming that is a good submission. I am such a newb.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

As long as you get a Work Ack in your log, the WU has been uploaded to a server. A report is generated on each server listing the user information, the WU description, and the points awarded which is sent the stats database server to be entered. There are some other steps before the points get displayed to some searches, or to the Web Control.

The search I used was from this page - https://apps.foldingathome.org. There is one called Recent CPUs which will return information on the last WU returned by your username fro each folding slot, CPU or GPU. This at least shows if some WUs have been entered.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
v00d00
Hardware configuration: FX8320e (6 cores enabled) @ stock,
- 16GB DDR3,
- Zotac GTX 1050Ti @ Stock.
- Gigabyte GTX 970 @ Stock
Debian 9.

Running GPU since it came out, CPU since client version 3.
Folding since Folding began (~2000) and ran Genome@Home for a while too.
Ran Seti@Home prior to that.

Post by v00d00 »

jbzy3000 wrote:LOL how did i end up with so many video cards
Haha. The same way the rest of us ended up with lots of spare cards (hoarding several GTX 970s in my cupboard). If it works and is reliable, you might need it in the future. ;)
jbzy3000

Post by jbzy3000 »

Yeah that’s what my wife said. I didn’t get a titanium power supply but I got an 80+ gold 750watt EVGA. Most I’ve ever spent. But if I’m running this 24/7 guess I need to upgrade a few things.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

jbzy3000 wrote:...I am more worried about my work wasting the time of the scientist. If i take a wu and it doesnt come back timely or isnt being submitted, i have wasted time and a wu. I am trying to work out the bugs and kinks before i shell out some cash and let it run. I want to make sure it is running well so i dont have to keep trying fix things, when i barely understand what its doing...
Regarding the time, as long as you submit completed WUs before the timeout, you're not wasting time. The faster the WU is completed, the higher the points are awarded.

If you would like a set-and-fold build, here are some of the main ideas to guide you:
1) What's your budget? This allows you to select what system you will end up with.
2) What's the TCO? How much are you willing to pay for power.
3) Do you consider PPD/$? Do you want to get the most points for the least amount of money.

CPUs are best for set-and-fold but they may not produce that much PPD
GPUs are ideal for high PPD but you have to consider drivers can break or decrease performance. F@H doesn't have much control over this area.
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
jbzy3000

Post by jbzy3000 »

update: i upgraded my machine to ryzen5 1600af with 650 psu and a rx570. The gpu alone is getting 375k ppd. i just broke 1 million on old setup so this should be 10x faster.

thanks for all the advice!!!