After reboot, FAH client doesn’t start (Windows 10)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

msma

After reboot, FAH client doesn’t start (Windows 10)

Post by msma »

Hi, I’m nearly new at Folding@home.
Sorry for my English and my simple questions:

I’ve being running FAH from the beginning of May till today without any problem.
My PC is running Windows 10 (version 10.0.18363.836).
Today, it has updated and after a reboot, the FAH client doesn’t start (or I can’t see it).
The page http://client.foldingathome.org/ is always "Connecting to your Folding@home client".

1) How can I start manually the client?
2) Would it be more simple to reinstall the software? If so, would I lose my user name?

Thank you in advance for your help
ajm

Re: After reboot, FAH client doesn’t start (Windows 10)

Post by ajm »

During an installation, you can choose to have FAH start automatically. If you haven't, you can make a search (the zone of the taskbar with a magnifying glass) for fahclient and hit enter.

If you prefer to reinstall, it is always better to include the data (the uninstaller offers that possibility with a check-box) so that potentials problems are solved. Before uninstalling, though, you might want to make a copy of the file config.xml, that contains your username, your team, and your passkey (if you have defined those). It is handy to have this file open during the new installation, as you have then to (re-)enter these elements. You'll find the file config.xml in %AppData%\FAHClient (just copy this in the address line of an explorer window). As it si an xml, you can just double clic the file and it will open in a browser.
msma

Post by msma »

Thank you very much, ajm!

Your help has been perfect: All is working again, all the projects I've been working with are restored, all is perfect.

Folding again!
:D
ajm

Post by ajm »

Great, thank you for reporting back and happy folding! :D
Stel2112
Hardware configuration: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, Six Core, 3.4GHz
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 290X
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX, 3200MHz, 16GB

Post by Stel2112 »

If it does not come back after a reboot, you might be having this issue: viewtopic.php?f=108&t=34839