Cozy Bear (APT-29) claws Coronavirus research from the West.

Please confine these topics to things that would be of general interest to those who are interested in FAH which don't fall into any other category.

Moderator: Site Moderators

WTS

Cozy Bear (APT-29) claws Coronavirus research from the West.

Post by WTS »

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-russ ... 56265.html

The objective will be the huge wealth for the manufacture of a vaccine/treatment for COVID-19 and the global, political clout that a vaccine/treatment would bring to a nation. What would a person or nation give to have a safe, effective vaccine/treatment for the Coronavirus?

I wonder if Cozy Bear has his claws into Folding @ Home!
Reality is what you stumble over when you walk around with your eyes closed.
bruce

Re: Cozy Bear (APT-29) claws Coronavirus research from the W

Post by bruce »

FAH is an academic non-profit organization registered in the USA. That certainly not a guarantee that Cozy Bear doesn't have a sleeper cell that has infiltrated the faculties of one or more of the US Universities, but it does make it unlikely. Moreover, even if they had, it makes it a real challenge for them to generate profits, assuming FAH develops a vaccine. It would seem more likely that they would target a commercial drug company.
WTS

Post by WTS »

bruce wrote:FAH is an academic non-profit organization registered in the USA. That certainly not a guarantee that Cozy Bear doesn't have a sleeper cell that has infiltrated the faculties of one or more of the US Universities, but it does make it unlikely. Moreover, even if they had, it makes it a real challenge for them to generate profits, assuming FAH develops a vaccine. It would seem more likely that they would target a commercial drug company.
I only hope all they're doing is stealing information. I pray they don't erase or corrupt data. Whatever the Russians are doing, they're not going to stop. Perhaps they should set up some fake data/information for APT-29 to steal, it'd serve them right.
Other news reports say the Russian and China researchers are taking "short cuts" in testing vaccines. I wonder if they're reach a solution faster than Western "ethical" companies.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Like your report, the news reports I heard said the Russians and Chinese were targeting academic institutions to "steal" research information and they did no damage. Maybe, but the information is free.

AFAIAC, the damage they did was cause was delays in our ability to get or return our WUs. I'd happily give them FAH's free information if they'd quit overloading our servers.
WTS

Post by WTS »

bruce wrote:Like your report, the news reports I heard said the Russians and Chinese were targeting academic institutions to "steal" research information and they did no damage. Maybe, but the information is free.

AFAIAC, the damage they did was cause was delays in our ability to get or return our WUs. I'd happily give them FAH's free information if they'd quit overloading our servers.
Is there anything that can be done to safeguard or servers and information from overloading? Is there anyway to send them a note telling them the information is free and where to obtain said information? Anything that speeds up folding is good and anything that obstructs folding is very bad. I wonder what it would take to get a truce with the Chinese hacker force.