Inconsistent credit counting at stats page

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

UdoA

Inconsistent credit counting at stats page

Post by UdoA »

Hello,

I see huge disconnects in counting the credits on the stats page for my account compared to the credit estimates given for a specific work units.
In detail, on my Ryzen 7 5700G I get for some WU credit estimates of about 200000 points. When the WU finishes, the final credit estimates is more than 500000 points, so 2.5 times more.
Nevertheless, the stats page only seems to count the original 200000 points.

Is this intended or a mistake?

Thanks!
aetch

Re: Inconsistent credit counting at stats page

Post by aetch »

Have you applied for a passkey?
It enables the quick return bonus which gives a higher score for work units returned before the timeout.
The client will estimate a score based upon having a passkey but the stat server will only count the base score if there is no passkey key or if your work unit completion rate is below 80%.
https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey

Are you running a GPU slot as well as a CPU slot?
The GPU slot typically scores considerably higher than the CPU slot, you may be confusing the results from the different folding slots on your system(s).
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
UdoA

Post by UdoA »

Hello,

many thanks for your reply.
No, I am not using the GPU folding, only CPU as my PC would be to hot to survive.
BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

Where and when are you getting the numbers you are citing? Are you comparing the FAH advanced control estimates to the log, then checking the project for actual points credited or.....???

Often FAH control will vary, especially when the work unit initially starts working. As it knocks out a few percent progress the number usually falls in line with a reasonably close estimate. At times this will vary if you are using the system for other uses, but not greatly. The fact that you have an integrated GPU does change this a little more than most systems.

As for CPU folding, most Ryzen iGPU setups will do both. They often lose some efficiency as compared to doing one or the other only, but still most will bump your PPD totals, even folding on only partial threads. I've had my 2400G folding both CPU and GPU for days at a time without issue. Just test some CPU work units and get a feel for how you want to set up your fan curves and such to keep it cool but not too noisy.
Fold them if you get them!
aetch

Post by aetch »

There are things you can do to produce less heat and/or deal with it.

Processor
You can use the power management features in Windows to slow your processor down.
In your motherboard bios/uefi you can disable the PBO (precision boost overdrive) and lower the multiplier of the processor to slow it down.

CPU Cooler
If you're going to fold 24/7 I would suggest that you seriously consider upgrading the cooler on your processor.
The stock cooler that comes with Ryzen CPUs (I think it's the wraith or the Stealth or something like that) is good enough to get you started but it's not really built to run 24/7.
Also be aware that not every cpu cooler is compatible with the off-centre dies of the Ryzen processor.
Personally, I'm using a closed loop cooler with 240mm radiator. Others seem to get good results with the likes of the 140mm Noctua coolers.

Case Fans
Case fans create an airflow through your case by pulling cool air in one side and exhausting warm air out the other side.
I would recommend installing them if you can.

Monitoring Tools
I would suggest downloading tools like CPUID HWMonitor and MSI Afterburner to monitor your system temperatures, fan speeds and a whole host of other things.
MSI Afterburner is primarily a tool for tweaking graphics cards but can also monitor and log data about other parts of your computer.
Most motherboard manufacturers provide their own proprietary tools to monitor and tweak settings on your motherboard. I have Gigabyte motherboards and I use their App Center along with the SIV app (System Information Viewer) which gives me the location and readout of specific temperature sensors on the motherboard as well as fine control over the fan curves which control the cpu/case fans.

Personally, I'm using the power management features in Windows to limit my Ryzen 3900X to 3.3GHz, along with my 240mm radiator I'm getting temperatures below 50C.

ImageImage
UdoA

Post by UdoA »

Hello and thanks for your replies.
I am using Ubuntu Linux for the folding.
Any idea how to limit processor speed there?
As for the cooling, I use a good Noctua cooler and fan.
UdoA

Post by UdoA »

I got a passkey but apparently, I am losing all my so far earned credit points.
Any way to keep the points?

Thanks!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The points are still there, it is just the way the Web Control looks up points by the combination of username and passkey. You can look up your points on the official stats site by username and team and see all points credited to UdoA.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
aetch

Post by aetch »

UdoA wrote:I am using Ubuntu Linux for the folding.
Any idea how to limit processor speed there?
My single best bit of advice I could give is to enter your motherboard bios and disable precision boost overdrive/turbo (it may go by other names depending on your specific motherboard).

Beyond that there are no easy options because:-
*). I don't know how to instrument linux to monitor CPU and motherboard temperatures, my Linux knowledge is very limited, others may be able to help you here.
*). my own suggestion would be to create a temporary Windows environment (on a spare hard drive) for system diagnosis to monitor the effect of changes/tweaks made in the bios.
*). it's important to be able to monitor your system in software as changes you make in hardware may not have the effect you were hoping for, or there may be other issues you were unaware of.

I have folded on Ubuntu in the past, that system was doing GPU only folding which had monitoring tools built into the GPU driver and the CPU tweaks had already been figured out in Windows.
I've been considering switching one of my current folding rigs over to Ubuntu for a few weeks now, I may come asking for help :wink:

ImageImage