What are the requirements for a Project server

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CaffeineDragon

What are the requirements for a Project server

Post by CaffeineDragon »

I am in the process of building my Folding@Home systems specifically two projects #18206 and #18210.

I would like to know how I could setup another Project server to help either of the above projects and what the server and internet requirements are needed to run and support the Folding@home.

I would also like to know how I can make my Folding@Home Client only work on these two projects for Alzheimer's

Thank you

Caffeine Dragon
JimboPalmer

Re: What are the requirements for a Project server

Post by JimboPalmer »

Step one would be to be associated with a researcher studying Altzhiemers, then get a high speed ,ISP account, and Then a Linux server with enough disk space.

You should be able to pay him/her $100,000 a year, I suspect Internet will be $500 a month and $25,000 should get a server.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/193717447685?h ... SwLQFgstsO

It is easy to suggest Altzhiemers, actually enforcing doing nothing if no Altzhiemers projects exist involves telling your router no other servers exist.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
kiore

Post by kiore »

I think a server is quite a difficult project, maybe better off giving a donation to the research team or the general project for economy of scale but perhaps you have access to these resources in which case someone may be able to direct to that next step.
Building a folding system is more easily attainable and a great start. I would have a look at the folding hardware section: viewforum.php?f=38 for some tips and maybe even post your proposed build for input, that what I did when I started. Multi GPU builds are always popular but GPUs are scarce at present.
All the best with this.
i7 7800x RTX 3070 OS= win10. AMD 3700x RTX 2080ti OS= win10 .

Team page: http://www.rationalskepticism.org
aetch

Post by aetch »

For your viewing pleasure, Linus Sebastion (Linus Tech Tips) building a Folding at Home work server.
It's the video that brought me here two years ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaMjPs66cTs
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

CaffeineDragon wrote:I am in the process of building my Folding@Home systems specifically two projects #18206 and #18210.

I would like to know how I could setup another Project server to help either of the above projects and what the server and internet requirements are needed to run and support the Folding@home.

I would also like to know how I can make my Folding@Home Client only work on these two projects for Alzheimer's

Thank you

Caffeine Dragon
I don't understand your plans ... do you want to build a dedicated folding machine to process WUs or a work server to host FAH projects ?

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.