ETA for WU suddenly much longer

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

LokiFlux
Hardware configuration: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500 6-Core
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: 32 GB DDR4-3600

ETA for WU suddenly much longer

Post by LokiFlux »

Hello everyone

I just installed FAH on my Ubuntu PC, and got WUs running on my CPU and GPU. When the WU on my CPU began folding, it showed an ETA of roughly 1.5 hours. However, now it's at 11% completion and shows 1.19 days ETA for some reason. I checked the CPU usage, and it's at 100%, with FAH cores taking up the vast majority of it. Is there anything I can do about this? Is this a bug?
PaulTV

Re: ETA for WU suddenly much longer

Post by PaulTV »

The ETA will not be reliable until 4% is folded (continuously). There are projects atm that take over a day easily even on CPUs like AMD 5900 (project 18423 being one of those).

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
aetch

Post by aetch »

I doubt if the original ETA was 1.5 hours, I think the original ETA was more likely to be 1.5 days.

When the client receives a work unit for a new project (a project your client has not seen before) the ETA reflects the timeout that was assigned to the project.
Once the work unit has processed the first few folds (2-3% progress) the ETA recalculates to be more realistic as to when the work unit will be completed.

BTW, the minimum timeout for any project currently in progress is 1 day (24 hours).
https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary
Folding Rigs - None (25-Jun-2022)

ImageImage
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

I am going to give a mealy mouthed generic answer, to get a more specific answer we would need to see the configuration portion of your log file, usually the first 200 lines.
viewtopic.php?p=327413&f=24#p327413

Each Work Unit gets a rough guess of how long it might take that it uses between 0% and 1%, this is not based on your PC. after 1% done, it starts basing the ETA more and more on your PC.
Some use CPUs have different architectures, SSE2 (oldest), some use AVX, and some use AVX@ (newest F@H uses) Some are in order, some can do out of order, and some are multithreaded.

F@H reserves a thread for each GPU as well, so we will need the details of you configuration to guess better.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
LokiFlux
Hardware configuration: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3500 6-Core
GPU: RTX 2060
RAM: 32 GB DDR4-3600

Post by LokiFlux »

Thanks everyone for the answers so far, I believe I found the reson: It seems I accidentally had two FAHClients running simultaneously, I first tried to install FAH with the files on the website, when that didn't work, I downloaded FAH from the software center. In my case, I installed only the FAHClient using the .deb file from the website, but the installation of FAHControl failed. It seems that the FAHClient just started folding regardless, which was quite confusing. When looking at the list of running processes, there were two identically named processes each, two FahCore_a8 and two FahCore_22. I've ended up uninstalling everything and reinstalling only the version from the software center, and now things are working much better. There's also only one instance of both FahCore_a8 and FahCore_22 processes now.