Buying a Mac Studio. Good Folder?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
uclajd
Hardware configuration: Nvidia RTX-2080 with Max-Q (990Mhz)

Buying a Mac Studio. Good Folder?

Post by uclajd »

Just curious if the new Mac Studio with the M1 Ultra will be a decent folder, or is CPU folding just so far behind GPU it isn't significant? My laptop (Alienware i9-9980HK CPU @ 2.40GHz with an RTX 2080) is pooping out about 825,000 PPD, and it would be over a million if I didn't use my laptop 8 hours a day. Pretty darned efficient for under 200 watts.

I'm getting the top of the line Apple M1 Ultra with 20-core CPU, 64-core GPU, 32-core Neural Engine.

Supposedly the Mac Mini M1 does about 69,000 PPD. It has 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine.

Which cores does F@H use on a Mac (CPU or GPU)?
Nvidia RTX-2080 with Max-Q (990Mhz) on Alienware 17 i9-9980HK @2.40 GHz 8-core.
JimboPalmer

Re: Buying a Mac Studio. Good Folder?

Post by JimboPalmer »

For largely historical reasons, only CPU folding is supported on the MacOS.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

With cpu:16 and a passkey for bonus points, you should see up to 8x the ppd of an M1 mini.

That will vary a lot.
My M1 mini saw 60 to 120 kppd depending on WU assigned. Usually 83k.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

No Mac will ever beat a nVidia GPU in FAH ... :roll:

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
cdpage

Post by cdpage »

Now that M2 chips are a thing, is there any chance we'll see an update to F@H for Macs in the nearish future?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

cdpage wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:22 pm Now that M2 chips are a thing, is there any chance we'll see an update to F@H for Macs in the nearish future?
Maybe. The current version of the client, 7.6.21, was created before the Apple Silicon based Mac's were widely available. It is the final version 7 client, they are working on a version 8 client at the moment. A Beta version may be out later this year or early next year, and I am assuming they will compile for both versions of Mac hardware then.

However most of the CPU time is spent processing a WU in a folding core. I have no idea when they may release one compiled to use the native ARM instructions of the M1 or M2. Such a release would need to include testing to see that the code created is valid scientifically.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
daiko
Hardware configuration: Mac Studio M1 Max
Folding since 2005

Post by daiko »

calxalot wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:45 pm With cpu:16 and a passkey for bonus points, you should see up to 8x the ppd of an M1 mini.

That will vary a lot.
My M1 mini saw 60 to 120 kppd depending on WU assigned. Usually 83k.
A late followup to this topic. Following the suggestion above, on a Mac Studio with the 10 core M1 Max:
After folding for months on the default cpu:10 setting, I saw your post and set my cpu:8 to prioritize the performance cores.
(I think that’s how this should work?) I’m currently seeing about 125kppd on the current WU, seems about a 20% boost. 8-)

Overall CPU load hovers around 70-80% at Folding Core Priority: Lowest possible.
Is there any merit in using the "Slightly higher” Priority setting to push CPU use further?
Currently, the fans are inaudible and core temps about 75-80°C.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Do you have a passkey? I think someone reported getting over 220 kppd on an M1 Max.
daiko
Folding since 2005

Post by daiko »

calxalot wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:09 pm Do you have a passkey? I think someone reported getting over 220 kppd on an M1 Max.
Something odd here...
I’ve been folding (off and on) since 2005. If I click on my oldest running machine, it shows a 32 digit INTEGER number in the passkey field, which I had subsequently copied to each new machine. This correctly shows my user and team identities as well as my total points earned. I dug back into my gmail history to find TWO passkey emails from FAH, dated April 2020 and March 2022, showing two different 32 digit HEX numbers. If I enter that 2022 code into my client software I show a grand total of 3400 points under Points Earned in the client, but if I click on 'See Stats' it shows the correct total for my username. It seems I was getting some bonus points with the integer key, as I would occasionally see an unexplained credit, so I assumed the system was working as it should. But now I question that assumption. Any suggestions to resolve this discrepancy? Thanks...
Last edited by daiko on Mon Aug 01, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

My passkey is a 32 character hex value.
daiko
Folding since 2005

Post by daiko »

Thanks for your reply regarding the use of a passkey. I was able to sort this out; I thought I had been receiving bonus points, but now that I am using a proper passkey I have seen a huge uptick in my PPD. Still, 220 kppd seems unlikely for most WUs. The best I’ve seen so far is about 160kppd on one of the cancer projects. https://folding.lar.systems/cpu_ppd/brands/apple/ shows an average of 136kppd in its somewhat limited db for M1 CPUs.

I don’t often use Chrome as a browser on my Mac, but I like the extra info available through the FOLDING AT HOME IN THE DARK extension. Probably old news for most here, but worth a look if you haven’t.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

You will need to finish 10 WUs before the bonus kicks in. And maintain an 80% success rate.
dirspb

Post by dirspb »

daiko wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:48 pm https://folding.lar.systems/cpu_ppd/brands/apple/ shows an average of 136kppd in its somewhat limited db for M1 CPUs.
These stats are very wrong. I'm getting ~100k on MBP M1 Pro 10 core running it all day in background, but it shows 50k for it. Even for standard 8 core it's too low.
daiko
Folding since 2005

Post by daiko »

Very late reply, but Yes, you’re right it’s low for some reason. Of course it varies per project. I’ve seen a high of 300kppd on some WUs. Generally closer to 200 on average lately. This is specifying cpu:8 to prioritize the performance cores, as suggested by calxalot above. Running 24/7 here in the background.
send2devnull2

Post by send2devnull2 »

I have a intel 2019 MacPro, with 12core xeon W processor, and I am only seeing ppd of 43044, with the cpu set at 23.
Does is that normal? I have a passkey in the client.