Ubuntu 22.04 LTS FAHcontrol installation

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

hrsetrdr

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS FAHcontrol installation

Post by hrsetrdr »

I've been running Ubuntu 20.04.4LTS for my folding machines, just built a new rig so I installed Ubuntu 22.04 LTS.

So here we go with the Python2 issues....I found the Testing Builds for Python 3 on github, and downloaded / installed the python3-fahcontrol_7.7.0-1_all.deb package. But, no FAHcontrol anywhere to be found.
I know this can be done, but at this juncture I could use some assistance. ;)
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

Install Folding@Home on Linux without Python dependancy issues
hrsetrdr

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 LTS FAHcontrol installation

Post by hrsetrdr »

So somewhere I saw starting Fahcontrol in terminal, thought I'd give it a shot since this 22.04lts install does not show the FAHclient app icon:

Code: Select all

FAHControl 
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/FAHControl", line 25, in <module>
    from fah import FAHControl, load_fahcontrol_db
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fah/__init__.py", line 25, in <module>
    from . import util
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fah/util/__init__.py", line 24, in <module>
    from .OrderedDict import *
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/fah/util/OrderedDict.py", line 23, in <module>
    from collections import MutableMapping as DictMixin
ImportError: cannot import name 'MutableMapping' from 'collections' (/usr/lib/python3.10/collections/__init__.py)
I don't know where to turn, but I don't want to go backwards, eventhough returning to Ubuntu 20.04.4 LTS seems tempting.
Folding rig:Supermicro X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD | (2) Xeon E5-2670 | 128GB DDR3 ECC Registered

samcarboni

Post by samcarboni »

Is folding@home dead on Linux now or what? I was able to install client & start folding on a Ubuntu 22.04 LTS system but I don't know how to control it without FAHControl which I used to be able to install & use up until I think 21.10 but those instructions I used don't seem to work in 22.04. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to control the clients using Terminal, at least?
samcarboni

Post by samcarboni »

Hahaha - never mind I found Folding@Home in Ubuntu Software App as a snap app which installs everything - the client, the controller, & the viewer all at the same time. Nice!
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

samcarboni wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:58 pm Is folding@home dead on Linux now or what? I was able to install client & start folding on a Ubuntu 22.04 LTS system but I don't know how to control it without FAHControl which I used to be able to install & use up until I think 21.10 but those instructions I used don't seem to work in 22.04. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial on how to control the clients using Terminal, at least?
I'm not "done" with Ubuntu 22.04 yet, but I'm planning to set up Fedora 36 and give it a go with folding. See this page for details:

https://foldingathome.org/support/faq/i ... ed/?lng=en

hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

samcarboni wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:01 am Hahaha - never mind I found Folding@Home in Ubuntu Software App as a snap app which installs everything - the client, the controller, & the viewer all at the same time. Nice!
got it, nice to have a solution, worked nicely! https://snapcraft.io/folding-at-home-fcole90

DocJonz
Hardware configuration: Folding with: 4x RTX 4070Ti, 1x RTX 3070

Post by DocJonz »

That is a great find :D
The whole Python 2 dependencies issue with the FAHControl has been a mess for far too long.

This pain-free alternative approach needs to be 'advertised' more widely so that others can benefit - it needs a link on the Folding@Home Linux download page surely?!
Folding Stats (HFM.NET): DocJonz Folding Farm Stats
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

DocJonz wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:21 pm That is a great find :D
The whole Python 2 dependencies issue with the FAHControl has been a mess for far too long.

This pain-free alternative approach needs to be 'advertised' more widely so that others can benefit - it needs a link on the Folding@Home Linux download page surely?!
I put the link in my sigline here, and on other forums.

bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Does anyone using the snap edition know how to monitor the client's progress from another system. The files are not where they're expected and so all FAHControl from another system does is sit there trying to connect :e?:
Is there a way of adding the path to the host id/ip?
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

bollix47 wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:11 pm Does anyone using the snap edition know how to monitor the client's progress from another system. The files are not where they're expected and so all FAHControl from another system does is sit there trying to connect :e?:
Is there a way of adding the path to the host id/ip?
On a rig I installed FAHcontol on through snap the directory that the FAHControl.db is in is /home/user/snap/folding-at-home-fcole90/current/.FAHClient.

bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Thanks for the info but that doesn't explain how to do what I'm trying:
I've installed the client & it is working and FAHControl on that system is working as expected
my problem is that I can't monitor that system from another system that's using HFM or a different FAHControl because the files are not where they expect them to be

This is no longer a problem ... my allow/deny IPs were not saved properly ... I can now monitor from a remote system
Last edited by bollix47 on Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

I haven't used HFM.net for a long time, but IIRC isn't there a config feature where you point to the directory for the remote machine's client?

JimF

Post by JimF »

samcarboni wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:01 am Hahaha - never mind I found Folding@Home in Ubuntu Software App as a snap app which installs everything - the client, the controller, & the viewer all at the same time. Nice!
I find that running the SNAP version fails after a few weeks on Ubuntu 20.04, for some unknown reason. I thought at first it was due to updates on SNAP (I already had all the Ubuntu updates disabled), but even disabling the SNAP service did not fix it.

It is the problem described here:
viewtopic.php?p=352553

EDIT: I often have to uninstall FAH and totally reinstall it to get it working again, though sometimes a reboot will fix it.
And it is usually the GPU side that fails. The CPU side usually works OK.

So I just installed the Python3 version, which works on Ubuntu 20.04.4 reliably. I don't know about 22.04.
I can give you my procedure if you need it. I think I cobbled it together from various sources, and I don't know a single reference to give you.
(It might be a bit different from the procedure that has worked for you already on 20.04, but it may just give the same problems on 22.04.)
hrsetrdr

Post by hrsetrdr »

JimF wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:57 pm So I just installed the Python3 version, which works on Ubuntu 20.04.4 reliably. I don't know about 22.04.
I can give you my procedure if you need it. I think I cobbled it together from various sources, and I don't know a single reference to give you.
(It might be a bit different from the procedure that has worked for you already on 20.04, or it may just give the same problems on 22.04.)
I would like that, if you don't mind. On this Ubuntu 20.04 LTS install I've not gotten the Python 3 to work at all. I'm currently on:

Python 2.7.18
My other machine running on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS got FAHcontrol & FAHclient going from snapcraft.

JimF

Post by JimF »

hrsetrdr wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:44 am I would like that, if you don't mind. On this Ubuntu 20.04 LTS install I've not gotten the Python 3 to work at all. I'm currently on:

Python 2.7.18
This is a bit of a kludge, but I have it installed on 10 Ubuntu 20.04.4 machines, and it works reliably for Nvidia, and AMD also.
See: https://github.com/cdberkstresser/fah-control

(1) Enable Ubuntu Software and perform updates

(2) Prerequisite: sudo apt-get install -y python3-stdeb python3-gi python3-all python3-six debhelper \
dh-python gir1.2-gtk-3.0

(3) Copy to the Home directory:
fahclient_7.6.21_amd64.deb
python3-fahcontrol_7.7.0-1_all.deb

(4) Install FAH
sudo apt install /home/USERNAME/fahclient_7.6.21_amd64.deb
sudo apt install /home/USERNAME/python3-fahcontrol_7.7.0-1_all.deb

(5) sudo adduser fahclient video (for AMD only)

(6) Issue the Terminal command: "sudo FAHControl & exit" (it will exit immediately)

(7) Issue the Terminal command: "FAHControl & exit"
(can add to "Startup Applications" to have it available on Favorites bar after reboot)

(8) Configure and remove "gpu false"

-> Reboot
Last edited by JimF on Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.