System running hot

FAH provides a V7 client installer for Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / RedHat / CentOS / Fedora. Installation on other distros may or may not be easy but if you can offer help to others, they would appreciate it.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

frazelle09
Hardware configuration: description: Desktop Computer
product: P72 A-7200
vendor: Toshiba
serial: PCLinuxOS
width: 64 bits

System running hot

Post by frazelle09 »

We' re running PCLinuxOS, fully updated. This is a Toshiba P75 P7200 which seems to fold really great even at the lowest level. Wow. However for over a year now we've notice that our power supply gets really hot and a couple of weeks ago just stopped working. We finally got another one and in the meantime replaced the paste on the CPU. Tried the machine again this morning but after a while the ps is again really hot. So, not being able to afford another $30 for another ps, we used the webpage to stop folding - sigh

Do you suppose this machine just folds "hot" or... ?? Any thoughts?

Have a beautiful morning, please stay safe and be happy! :)
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
Bahá'u'lláh
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Re: System running hot

Post by promeneur »

Buuuh

Post by Buuuh »

frazelle09 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:35 pm Do you suppose this machine just folds "hot" or... ?? Any thoughts?
If it did not run hot before, something must have changed. A CPU or GPU does not get just accidentially become hotter for no reason.
Do not just change paste, but check your cooler for dust, also do this on your powersupply. Also check airflow. If something blocks the airflow this might be the reason.
frazelle09
Hardware configuration: description: Desktop Computer
product: P72 A-7200
vendor: Toshiba
serial: PCLinuxOS
width: 64 bits

Post by frazelle09 »

Wow. What a quick reply! Thanks guys. i especially appreciate the answer from promeneur although our PCLinuxOS system does not use systemend so, as much as i'd like to use his solution, it looks like we're going to have to try Bruce's.

i also just learned that apparently "threads" also means "cpus" in fah-speak. That's really good to know - lol.

Have a radiant morning and please be happy! :)
"The earth is one country and mankind its citizens."
Bahá'u'lláh
"La tierra es un sólo país y la humanidad sus ciudadanos."
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

This cheap Power supply is rated at 90 watts, quite a bit more that the stock Toshiba.

https://www.amazon.com/LXHY-Compatible- ... B081TYLBX2
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Post by promeneur »

>> our PCLinuxOS system does not use systemd

Before openSUSE uses systemd the method was :

put the statements cpulimit in the file /etc/rc.d/boot.local

For example put in the file /etc/rc.d/boot.local the statements

Code: Select all

cpulimit --exe FahCore_a8 --limit 50
cpulimit --exe FahCore_22 --limit 50

then restart the PC