changing identity, lost the quantity of the WU i computed ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

changing identity, lost the quantity of the WU i computed ?

Post by promeneur »

Are the quantity of the computed WU's with the old identity added to the new identity ?
JimboPalmer

Re: changing identity, lost the quantity of the WU i computed ?

Post by JimboPalmer »

Points always stay with the name, team, and passcode they were awarded to.

(I am just a user like you, but if you could change who points were awarded to, some one would have stolen all of them by now)
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Post by promeneur »

>> I am just a user like you, but if you could change who points were awarded to, some one would have stolen all of them by now

Why ? I assume the old identity is mine, and I cannot create another identity if there is already someone with the same name.

When you subscribe to a website you can change your id then you keep your account and the data, and you cannot become owner of another account. No ?
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Many users have the same name, only the combination of name and pass code is unique.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

promeneur wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:48 pmWhy ? I assume the old identity is mine, and I cannot create another identity if there is already someone with the same name.
A decision was made in the early years of the F@h project to not create a registry of usernames. You may have noticed not having to register for an account with the Folding@home web site. So there is nothing preventing someone else from setting up folding with the same name. You can find many duplicate names. Some may have been selected initially to be unique, for example mine was until results stopped being reported by case sensitive usernames. There are three other "Joe_H"s out there, as I recall one was entered into the system as "Joe_h".

Similarly there is nothing preventing someone from using the same team number.

The one thing that is tied specifically with you is your passkey. That is entered into a database along with the username you supplied and the email address you requested it from. If you request a passkey using the same username and email, the same passkey will be sent to you. But for folding the passkey can be used with any username and team combination, it is not a registration for the usernames. As long as you do not give it out, no one else can use it.
promeneur wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:48 pmWhen you subscribe to a website you can change your id then you keep your account and the data, and you cannot become owner of another account. No ?
Yes, but as mentioned above you never registered with the F@h website. You did register for an account here on the forum, but that is a separate site run by volunteers. F@h pays for the site to be hosted, but otherwise this site and foldingathome.org do not share a registration database.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3