Summarizing headless beta learnings

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

JL_678

Summarizing headless beta learnings

Post by JL_678 »

First let me start by recognizing @calxalot for his help through this process. As an appreciation for all the efforts, I wanted to summarize the findings in one post in the hopes that it can help the dev team as we go through the beta process. Please note, that all is not well as I still have the API issue listed at the bottom.

I am also willing to support beta efforts and test builds, if that is helpful. (I am running FAH in an LXC container and so can easily create and delete test machines.)

fah-client access issues with app.foldingathome.org - Github link: https://github.com/FoldingAtHome/fah-we ... /issues/76
For whatever reason, I have never been able to get web access working using app.foldingathome.org process even using shift-command-L. It feels like either a browser (Tested on multiple chrome versions) or an app permission issue. We tried all kind of permutations of settings and it would never work. I never saw any log errors even using debug and upping verbosity to 10. I am not sure exactly what is causing this, but it feels like a bug.

Suggested next steps:
  • Document the ctrl-shift-l thing
  • Troubleshoot to understand if this is indeed a permission issue
Using local GUI - See GitHub link
@calxalot suggested this, and it worked! But, it still only works by going to http://<fah_ip>:7396 and app.foldingathome.org still fails. I continue to wonder if there is a permission or browser issue as noted above. Once I got access, I had WU assignment problems.

Suggested next steps:
  • Document the process of setting up the local GUI
  • Back to the previous comment, check out potential permission issues
WU Assignment Issues - Forum link: viewtopic.php?t=39006
I had WU assignment issues as shown in the logs in the post linked above. The solution was to up the number of CPUs to 2. (My container has 2 CPUs.) Why did I need to do that?

Suggested next steps:
  • Understand how WUs relate to # of CPUs and determine why 2 CPUs are required for WU assignment
Cause dropdown is blank
This is still an issue for unknown reasons. I can easily access the API via both my local browser and curl on the headless server. I cannot figure out why the web client cannot populate this.

Update: For reasons that I cannot determine, the cause drop down just populated!

Suggested next steps:
  • Understand the cause drop down population process and research why it would take 4+ hours to populate
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: Summarizing headless beta learnings

Post by calxalot »

Cause populates now because Joseph relaxed the CORS restrictions on the servers.
JL_678

Post by JL_678 »

Awesome, thanks for driving this!
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

For those looking at the GitHub issue discussion,
please note that that was for a non-service fah-client on headless linux.

Linux, macOS and Windows will differ somewhat.
Especially wrt service start/stop and file location, ownership and permissions.

What was done was further complicated by setting up a local Web Control.
Most people will not need to do that.

I will try to document things clearly in new threads, as time allows.