BSOD on Windows 10 while folding (12700k cpu)

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RandomPerson
Hardware configuration: I'm running a 12700k and 3070 Ti for my main gaming PC build. However, I could contribute with some of my old laptops and potentially my home server if I'm not lazy enough.

BSOD on Windows 10 while folding (12700k cpu)

Post by RandomPerson »

I have been getting an extraordinary amount of bluescreens when I even attempt to run the Folding at home software. I have a 12700k running at stock speeds and voltages on a MSI Z690 pro DDR4 bios revision 7D25v17, with 32 GB (4 sticks) of DDR4 @3200mhz. My GPU is a 3070 Ti founders edition running 528.24, my boot drive is a 1tb Samsung 980 Pro on the CPU's PCIE 4 by 4 bus. My OS is Windows 10 Pro 22H2, and I also have Hyper-V enabled but not running any virtual machines. I have attempted to install F@H twice (Version 7.6.21 x86), and the installer works perfectly each time. However, when I allow it to run, it only allows for it to run on the 4 E-cores, so downloaded process lasso so that I can allow it to hopefully run on all of the cores. With both software running, it is "stable" for a couple of minutes. But then it would BSOD, with the error code being WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR, I've read that this usually relates to overclocking or undervolting, however I am running my 12700k at stock clocks and stock voltages. But soon after the blue screen my computer would restart. And it would be really buggy for 2 minutes before crashing again. Except this time it would be BSODing for a split second before my screen goes back and it attempts a reboot. The instability would include:
- Windows search bar constantly crashing.
- Courser freezing
- Graphical glitches with the BSOD
I have already uninstalled F@H as it is a system risk as this is the only time I've had a reliable way of generating a BSOD, and I also have very important files that I would like to keep. The only way of me stopping this is to straight up task killing F@H before my system becomes too unstable and BSODs. I have used process lasso before and it has never given me errors, my PC has also been stress tested where it was relatively stable (Just it being laggy no BSOD), I have ran Cinebench, UserBenchMark (I know they are garbage), XMRig, and 7zip, all without issues and it hitting the stock clock frequencies and the normal scores. I usually apps running in the background, but I do not have a single anti-virus program except for Microsoft Defender. I keep my browser (Opera GX), Discord, Samsung DEX, GeForce Experience (I have set up RDP so I usually disable recording and instant replay), sometimes task manager, HWiNFO, VirtualBox or VMWare.
My reliability reports detects the system shutdown, but it lists that my system was not shutdown properly. It would occasionally say that windows did not start properly. Event viewer says that I have a Kernel Error 41 with task category 63 where I haven't shutdown my system properly when the system would just spontaneously shutdown a split second after a blue screen. It is not my power supply as my power supply is a 850 watt 80+ gold unit (Everything is properly plugged in) from cooler master and I have constantly drawn way more power from both of my components before, and I have also left my PC running for way longer (Almost a week without issues). I have narrowed it down to F@H as I've said, when I task killed it, the BSODing would stop, and I haven't gotten this error code before. My laptop, with a 10510u and UHD 620 (Disabled) works fine and I have never gotten a bluescreen while I was running F@H. Another possibility is my configuration of process lasso as it could be process lasso causing the BSODing, but I haven't ran into a single issue with them before. I would really appreciate any help as I want to help scientists with my computer but I just don't want it to constantly BSOD and maybe even deleting my important files.
bikeaddict

Re: BSOD on Windows 10 while folding (12700k cpu)

Post by bikeaddict »

Try running a memory error test to look for a bad module or try removing one or two memory sticks to narrow it to one. Or maybe try running the memory at 2666 MT/s in the BIOS.

You really need to run Windows 11 to get the most from a 12th gen Intel CPU with power/efficiency cores.
RandomPerson
Hardware configuration: I'm running a 12700k and 3070 Ti for my main gaming PC build. However, I could contribute with some of my old laptops and potentially my home server if I'm not lazy enough.

Post by RandomPerson »

I have ran memory diagnostic, and everything came back fine, I did not have any errors. I have 2 of the same 2 by 8 gb memory kits, and they are both rated for 3200 mts, so I don't think its my memory, and plus my memory has never really gaved my any issues.
RandomPerson

UPDATE: I will be using a VM to fold now

Post by RandomPerson »

Since running on bare metal doesn't necessarily work, I will use VirtualBox to hopefully contain the BSOD inside of the VM and not just taking my whole host system with it. I'll try Hyper-V later as it is getting late and also I have a VM that I can use to do the folding. Currently my VM has not crashed a single time, so I consider it a success. I will probably switch to a faster hypervisor but I don't have to time for that today, as VirtualBox is rather slow compared to things like KVM, VMWare, and Hyper-V.
Vester
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2600, Samsung NVMe EVO 980 Pro 256GB, CoolerMaster liquid cooler ML360, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Dell Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB 4Y12V, Pop!_OS.

Post by Vester »

Have you used HWMonitor to check the CPU and GPU temperatures? My Intel i9-10850K @4.8GHz with a CoolerMaster AIO ML360 liquid cooler runs about 70 C when FAH is running. My CPU temperature is 28C when not running FAH. I run MSI Afterburner to reduce Memory clock to a minimum and to increase the fan speed to maintain less than 70C GPU temperatures.

In BIOS, enable "above 4G decoding" and "resizable BAR (auto)."

I also run a Samsung 980 Pro NVMe. You may be interested in this article at Tom's Hardware: DirectStorage Causes 10% Performance Hit On RTX 4090 In Forspoken (Updated).
RandomPerson

Post by RandomPerson »

I have not used HWMonitor, however, I have used HWiNFO, which does give me all the same information has HWMonitor. I use an NH-D15 (Dual fans) for my 12700k, and yes it does thermal throttle a bit (200 MHZ worst, 100 MHZ avg), my case gives it good airflow with the fractal torrent with the preinstalled 5 fans. But I redid a Cinebench stability test for 30-ish minutes and my PC came out fine, and my NH-D15 keeps my 12700k relatively ok at 90 c which is not enough for it to drastically thermal throttle at 100. I do have resizable bar enabled and above 4g decoding as I have mined with my 3070 Ti. I currently do not play any games with the DirectStorage API, and also, toms hardware retracted the statement as in loading screens, due to the SATA SSD's longer wait time, it is able to gain a high FPS which has distorted the average FPS.
Vester
Hardware configuration: Gigabyte Aorus Z590 Pro AX, Intel i9-10850K, 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-2600, Samsung NVMe EVO 980 Pro 256GB, CoolerMaster liquid cooler ML360, Nvidia Titan X (Pascal), Dell Nvidia RTX 3080 10GB 4Y12V, Pop!_OS.

Post by Vester »

I would delete the CPU slot in FAH Control | Configure | Slots and run FAH on the GPU. I run World Community Grid (WCG), a BOINC project, on my CPU and FAH on my GPU. WCG will run a task per CPU thread.
RandomPerson

UPDATE: Resolved

Post by RandomPerson »

Ok, this is very anti-climactic, but basically I was doing maintenance on my computer a couple days earlier and I was blowing dusts off of some stuff with compressed air and I probably just unknowingly slightly unplugged one of my CPU connectors a bit, and it was just in enough for it to register but not in enough for it to properly deliver to power, this could have probably burned my house down. I have now reconnect all the cables now. But thanks to everyone to help me trouble shoot it.
toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

That was a nasty one, good catch !

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.