Dumping a WU in v8.1.1 beta and other questions

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

ETA_2025
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-7700 32GB RAM
20 x Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB RAM

Dumping a WU in v8.1.1 beta and other questions

Post by ETA_2025 »

Before I change to using the v8.1.1 beta, I have a few questions.

Can I remove a slot (CPU) to dump a WU, as I can in v7.6.21? If not, then how can I dump a WU that can't be completed before expiration?

I see it's possible to monitor and control a remote client, like I can in v7.6.21's FAHContol, but does the client have to be using the v8.1.1 beta as well, for this to work?

Are there any issues with HFM or Firefox, and the v8.1.1 beta?

Thanks for any answers.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Dumping a WU in 8.1.1 beta and other questions

Post by Joe_H »

ETA_2024 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:43 am Can I remove a slot (CPU) to dump a WU, as I can in 7.6.21? If not, then how can I dump a WU that can't be completed before expiration?
v8 doesn't create "slots" like v7 does. You indicate what resources are available for folding and the client assigns them to processing WUs. You can create resource groups, and assign specific resources to each. WUs may get dumped if the resource groups get changed, and there is a trashcan symbol to dump a WU that is active under some conditions.

For now as there are only separate folding cores a WU should be assigned for each GPU and take one CPU core. The other CPU cores would be available for a WU to be assigned to be processed using a CPU folding core. A bug has been reported on that, so it sometimes doesn't work correctly. Future WUs and folding cores may use CPUs and GPUs simultaneously.
I see it's possible to monitor and control a remote client, as in 7.6.21's FAHContol, but does the client have to be using the 8.1.1 beta as well, for this to work?
Remote monitoring requires use of v8 on both clients. It is done through the same setup as for resource groups.
Does the 8.1.1 beta have any issues with HFM or Firefox?
Does not work with HFM at this time. I have had no issues using it with Firefox. Chrome, Edge and Brave are also known to work.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
ETA_2025
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-7700 32GB RAM
20 x Raspberry Pi 4 Model B 2GB RAM

Re: Dumping a WU in v8.1.1 beta and other questions

Post by ETA_2025 »

Joe_H wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 3:49 pm
ETA_2024 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:43 am Does the 8.1.1 beta have any issues with HFM or Firefox?
Does not work with HFM at this time. I have had no issues using it with Firefox. Chrome, Edge and Brave are also known to work.
Thanks.

As it doesn't work with HFM, I guess I'll wait until it does before I change to v8. Does HFM, the v8.1.1 beta or both need to be updated, for HFM to work with the v8?

Also, maybe a sticky topic/post of v8.1.1 beta FAQ's could be created, so users can find all the information in a single topic/post.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

I am not certain what exactly needs updating. My assumption is that Harlam will need to update how HFM.net connects to the folding clients as there is a new API for v8. That API has not yet been posted, but should be at some time in the future.

As for a FAQ post, that may come at some point when someone goes through what has been asked and filters out the common questions. At this point there are 2 stickied posts, one is the various links related to v8 and the other is a guide to setting up remote monitoring.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Firefox will not allow connections to remote peers.

Unless you set up a local Web Control, which is difficult and undocumented.