How long will FaH continue supporting Pascal?

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
MrEnigma27

How long will FaH continue supporting Pascal?

Post by MrEnigma27 »

Hey all - like the title suggests, I was wondering how long FaH will continue to support Pascal cards?? (read through about 4-5 threads here and couldn't find a definitive answer)

Have been a longtime folder, but only casually so. Put together my rig in question back in 2009, originally with a GTX 285 SC and upgrading that to a 3GB GTX 1060 around 2016 or so. Aside from the 1060 GPU and the addition of a Samsung 850 EVO (500GB) SSD, the rest of this thing is bone stock (a Core-i7 920 and 6 GB of OCZ DDR3 all plugged into an eVGA X58 SLI board).

I switched to a gaming laptop 2 yrs back (an Acer Predator Triton 500 w/a GTX 2060) but don't want to take the risk of folding on that, even with a good cooling pad. Am hoping the 1060 still has a good folding life left in it though.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: How long will FaH continue supporting Pascal?

Post by Joe_H »

My best guess is Pascal will be supported for a few more years. F@h will probably drop support within a year or two after Nvidia ends full support and driver upgrades for Pascal.

As an example, Kepler which is two generations older than Pascal is still supported by F@h. Kepler cards however are no longer able to use CUDA instructions instead of OpenCL when processing WUs. Low end cards in the 700 and 900 series may not be fast enough to complete current WUs within deadlines. Maxwell cards still can utilize CUDA for now, a future update to the GPU folding core may need to drop that to support a newer generation of Nvidia GPU chips.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3