Can't get passkey

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Peter_Hucker

Can't get passkey

Post by Peter_Hucker »

I changed my username to make it work with Gridcoin, I just entered the new username in and it accepted it. But when I try to generate a passkey, I'm asked for this username and my email address. It says error. How do I make that new username associate with my email address?
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Can't get passkey

Post by Joe_H »

You do not need a new passkey, just continue using the one you already have. Usernames and email addresses are not associated by F@h beyond that using the same email and username will get you the same passkey.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Ok thanks, I'll stick to the same one. So if my username's changed, the passkey which came from the old one will still work?!

You ought to check this page though, it refused to give me one. https://apps.foldingathome.org/getpasskey
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

I don't suppose there's any way to transfer my credits from one username to the other?
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Peter_Hucker wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:31 pm I don't suppose there's any way to transfer my credits from one username to the other?
No, that goes back to a policy F@h adopted at the beginning. Once credited points will not be moved from one username or team to another.

As for the passkey generator, I just used it to create a passkey for myself and received it within a minute or two. Was there an error message that you got when you tried getting a passkey? It is possible that the username you used was too long or the email address was considered invalid for some reason.

Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Just tried it again the same way and it worked. Perhaps the username needs to have generated some points first?

Now I don't know which key to use (I don't understand how they work, because I don't see how the old one, which was created from a different username, would work with the new username). Unless you say otherwise, I'll stick the new one in.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Now I've caused another problem. When I changed the passkey (in the web interface using Chrome), now the main page only displays for a fraction of a second before disappearing. It did that earlier when I changed a setting, and deleting all history/cache/etc made it work. Now it doesn't.
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Use either one, it doesn't matter. The passkey is not "tied" to a specific username. The only thing that happens is that each time a passkey is used with a specific username the pair needs to process and return 10 WUs before the QRB is awarded.

The only place a username gets connected with a passkey is in the databases of assigned passkeys. There a record of which passkey was assigned to a request is made of the passkey, and the username and email used to request it. It is not a registry of usernames, the information stored is only to allow sending the same passkey if the same username and email address is used again, and so that a passkey will only be assigned once. Use the same username and a different email, you get a different passkey.

For the points and the stats database only the passkey is checked to see if it is valid and the username/passkey pair used to download and upload the WU is checked to see if it qualifies as having returned 10 WUs and maintained a greater than 80% return rate. The original username used to get the passkey is not looked up.

Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

What is the purpose of passkeys? Could the bonus not be given out just by looking at the username?

How do I get my web interface working again? I just have a blank screen now. It's working, because it displays briefly, but then it's gone.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

I'm getting this in the html of the page, most is missing!

Code: Select all

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8"/>
    <link rel="icon" href="/favicon.ico"/>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/css/font-awesome.min.css">
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"/>
    <title>Folding@home Client</title>
    <script type="module" crossorigin src="/assets/index.aadbf507.js"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="/assets/index.78421e61.css">
  </head>
  <body>
    <div id="app"></div>

</body>
</html>
Joe_H
Site Admin

Post by Joe_H »

Peter_Hucker wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:44 pm What is the purpose of passkeys? Could the bonus not be given out just by looking at the username?

How do I get my web interface working again? I just have a blank screen now. It's working, because it displays briefly, but then it's gone.
Usernames are not unique, and the decision 20 years ago not to have a username registry means there are a lot of duplicate usernames. For instance I selected what was an unique username back in 2005, the last time I looked there were at least 3 or 4 others who have used that username.

Not sure how to get the web interface working correctly again. Your description of what is happening reminds me of a problem that occurred with Chrome and the v7 Web Control page a few years ago. But I don't recall what the fix was. If you have Firefox installed I would recommend trying that instead of Chrome.

Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

I thought I would still get points without a passkey, just not bonuses. So if you didn't use a passkey, wouldn't you and the other 3 people with your username all be sharing points?

I have 4 computers running Folding. I monitor them all from this one using Chrome. I tried Chrome and Opera (both of which used to work on this one) on one of the other machines, and the same problem occurs. It seems to be caused by changing settings like the passkey.

I just tried Firefox on this machine, but the same thing occurs.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

If I can't see the webpage, I can't control folding, so I'll have to give up on the entire project which is a shame.
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Now I tried one of the other machines, which had forgotten my new username for some reason, but the web control was working. When I entered the correct one and the new passkey, it went blank too!
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Ok this is ridiculous, there must be a severe bug here. I just installed folding fresh on a new machine I've only owned for 4 days, it's never seen folding before. I input the settings then the screen went blank. It doesn't like something in my new username or passkey. I even shortened the username. The username has to be [something]_GRC_[my Boinc CPID] to link it to Gridcoin, I changed the [something] to just P. What's going on here? Can I produce a log to give a hint?