How many cores should I donate?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

fangfufu
Hardware configuration: 4 cores on a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

How many cores should I donate?

Post by fangfufu »

I have just got myself a second hand desktop. I now have a Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU, which has 6 cores. Historically I have been using quad-core laptops, and I had been donating 2 cores 24x7 to keep the noise down. Now I have a desktop with proper cooling. I am just re-evaluating how many cores I should be donating. Desktop uses more power than laptop, and I will be running it 24x7. So this is an argument to keep donating only 2 cores.

So my questions are:
  • Will it be sufficient to donate 2 cores?
  • Will I get access to more advanced science projects if I donate more than 2 cores?
Folding with 4 cores on Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K

I first started folding back in the Google Compute days!
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: How many cores should I donate?

Post by calxalot »

Donate what you can afford.
If you want to limit your electric bill, fold part time on more cores and always set to finish. Maybe just do one WU per day.
fangfufu

Post by fangfufu »

I remember at one point there was an announcement that single-core tasks were being deprecated. Are there plans like that for dual-core tasks?

toTOW
Site Moderator

Post by toTOW »

Check the ETAs ... if you aren't going to make the deadlines, increase the number of threads you allow.

Anyway, I wouldn't fold on anything that has less than 4 cores ...

Folding@Home beta tester since 2002. Folding Forum moderator since July 2008.
fangfufu

Post by fangfufu »

Oh my client makes the deadline fine. I don't think I need to add more threads. Why wouldn't you fold with fewer than 4 cores?

KenPutnam

Post by KenPutnam »

How do you limit number of cores used in Folding?

Longtime BOINCer, here because KREMBIL can't get it's act together to get WCG back up and running

I'm used to using an app_config.xml file But all i see here is the "Power" slider in the local WEB interface Regardless of how it is set, Folding appears to use *ALL* cycles of *ALL* available processors Right now with Folding and BOINC both running, Resource Monitor shows 100% CPU, and my CPU (Core I-7, 11700K) temps are 190-192 Right at the run-able limit And it's only gonna get warmer this year

TIA for any assistance
Last edited by KenPutnam on Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
bikeaddict

Post by bikeaddict »

KenPutnam wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:35 am How do you limit number of cores used in Folding?
The simple way is to run FAHControl and configure the slot with the maximum number of threads rather than the default of -1. But it doesn't always honor this change during the current work unit. I think it will allow reducing threads but not increasing them while a WU is running.

The power user way is by editing /etc/fahclient/config.xml (Linux, not sure on Windows/Mac):

Code: Select all

<!-- Folding Slots -->
  <slot id='0' type='CPU'>
    <cpus v='16'/>
  </slot>
and then restarting the FAHClient service.

I am also a former WCG cruncher who has have given up all hope that Krembil will be able to competently operate the platform or communicate effectively with the community after the IBM migration started over a year ago.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

bikeaddict wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:54 am The simple way is to run FAHControl and configure the slot with the maximum number of threads rather than the default of -1. But it doesn't always honor this change during the current work unit. I think it will allow reducing threads but not increasing them while a WU is running.
That is mostly correct. Using FAHControl to configure the CPU folding slot you change the default -1 to the number of threads desired. The -1 setting leaves the thread count to the slider - Full uses all available threads, Medium one less, and Light half the available threads. WUs assigned with the client set for a certain number of threads can always be run on a smaller number, but an increase will only be used for the next WU downloaded.

Editing the config.xml file can be done, but is not the recommended method. The client uses a specific subset of XML syntax and a mistake can keep the client from working at all. Changes made through FAHControl and the Web Control are checked for correctness before rewriting the config.xml file. The folding client uses the same code on Windows, macOS and Linux, all have config.xml.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
KenPutnam

Post by KenPutnam »

Thanks all

I've used FAHControl to limit the CPU count, we'll see what happens

One other question

I'm using a 64bit CPU, but Folding installed to the x86 directory Does this mean its running x86 code?
Last edited by KenPutnam on Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fangfufu

Post by fangfufu »

Longtime BOINCer, here because KREMBIL can't get it's act together to get WCG back up and running
What's wrong with WCG? My WCG machines are still getting works fine. I prefer WCG on my super low end machines, because FAH doesn't have the option of pausing computation when CPU is busy. My "premium" machines run FAH.

Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

KenPutnam wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:03 pm One other question

I'm using a 64bit CPU, but Folding installed to the x86 directory Does this mean its running x86 code?
The folding client itself is 32-bit on Windows, but it doesn't handle the actual WU processing. FAHClient handles downloads and uploads needed for processing WUs, and starts and stops processing. The actual processing is done in downloaded folding cores that are 64-bit code. When running you will see them as FAHCore_nn in Task Manager, and FAHClient will be using almost no CPU time. There is also a wrapper process that transfers the startup parameters for the core executable. The WU downloaded will specify which folding core is needed, and if applicable which version number.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3