Apple TV app

A forum for discussing FAH-related hardware choices and info on actual products (not speculation).

Moderator: Site Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the forum rules before posting.
Brandonwade

Apple TV app

Post by Brandonwade »

What is everyones thoughts about creating an Apple TV app for folding. I know nothing about programming, but ive been running Rosetta on a Pi4 and an Apple TV seems to be more powerful.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Re: Apple TV app

Post by calxalot »

The client downloads executable code to run work units. Apple will not approve such apps.
Brandonwade

Post by Brandonwade »

Ah i see, thanks for the quick reply!
FaaR

Post by FaaR »

calxalot wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:06 am The client downloads executable code to run work units. Apple will not approve such apps.
If the cores appear as DLC in the app store, I don't see why they wouldn't approve it. It's no different than any number of other apps.

...Naturally, an Apple TV app might not be the most useful thing though. The device's performance is relatively limited after all. GPU especially, as it's a mobile class device in a stationary device casing. :P
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

I don’t think DLC normally includes executable code. It’s the kind of thing malware would do.

The app would have to be packaged with all cores included. New cores would require a new app release and approval.

A lot of work to support something that would not produce much work. IMO
muziqaz
Hardware configuration: 7950x3D, 5950x, 5800x3D, 3900x
7900xtx, Radeon 7, 5700xt, 6900xt, RX 550 640SP

Post by muziqaz »

There is no point in developing things for corner cases. Now say, we develop something to run on that TV, it will just simply blow up from overheating, since it is not meant to run intensive tasks 24/7. Same goes for smartphones: f@h supports ARM CPUs, but there is no reliable way of deploying work to android phones since they are so low power and so dependant on battery life, let alone batteries go to crap with constant charging. I had a case of Sony smartphone battery expanding so much, that it deformed the phone itself, because it was on constant charge. Simply said: they are a liability.
With limited dev resources, it is best to concentrate on things which will bring substantial performance increase
FAH Beta tester