Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Solo-Ion
Hardware configuration: i5-10500
RTX 3080
16GB DDR4

Unlikely to finish a WU for 12413

Post by Solo-Ion »

Hello all,
Earlier today, I got a WU with a 5 day expiration. After letting it get to 3% it had an ETA of just over 2 days. Now, that feels a bit steep to me. I'm not someone who folds 24/7, I usually fold for about 7-8 hours a day when I'm home or 3-4 if I'm out for most of the day. After letting a GPU unit finish and get to 6% it was down to just over 1.5 days, which I may be able to complete but it will be close. I'm happy to fold for science while using my PC, but I prefer not to leave my computer on for extended periods of time just for folding.

Usually, I get jobs with a 4 or 5 day expiration that take me about 4-5 hours to complete. But then I sometimes get these massive outliers that take way longer but barely give me more time to finish them. It just doesn't feel balanced.

I sometimes wish that I could specify in the client how many hours per day I expect to be folding for so that I get WUs better suited to how I fold.

I have a i5 10500, currently folding at 10 threads. I drop that down to 6 or 4 in summer to keep things cool.