No bonus, but why?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Peter_Hucker

No bonus, but why?

Post by Peter_Hucker »

I was checking to make sure my computers were all returning things on time (for your benefit, the points are secondary), and noticed one unit returned without a bonus. It's marked as "ok", and was returned in just over 7 hours after assignment. Are there units needing a faster turnaround that 7 hours? How do I find the deadline for a completed workunit?
Peter_Hucker

Re: No bonus, but why?

Post by Peter_Hucker »

BobWilliams757
Hardware configuration: ASRock X370M PRO4
Ryzen 2400G APU
16 GB DDR4-3200
MSI GTX 1660 Super Gaming X

Post by BobWilliams757 »

According to https://apps.foldingathome.org/bonus one of the systems with a user/passkey pair you have entered has fallen below the threshold to get bonus points. In short, you have a system not stable enough at some point to complete the required 80% of work units correctly and on time. Though that specific work unit finished with time to spare and correctly, others have not.

Most likely you had at some point a great number of failed work units that brought down your percentage of properly completed work units, and that is the root cause. If you have not done anything to fix any instabilities it may still be happening, but the only way to know for sure is to monitor your machines close enough to determine where the problem is or was.

Stability is key to folding. Though work units can fail for reasons beyond user control, ensuring your gear will complete the vast majority of them correctly and on time helps the science move much faster. Please check your systems for stability, fix anything causing issues, and complete any work units assigned. Most people folding will maintain well above the required 80% completion rate, so the number is actually forgiving.

You can find the deadlines for projects by going to https://apps.foldingathome.org/psummary
In this case the speed at which the work unit completed was not the cause of missing out on bonus points. These days the timeout and expiration/deadline times are usually generous and most systems can complete them without issue.
Fold them if you get them!
Peter_Hucker

Post by Peter_Hucker »

Ah, you've alerted me to a mistake. I had one of the machines on an old passkey.