Temperature control feature for FAH

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

arthurdn

Temperature control feature for FAH

Post by arthurdn »

1. I was registered in FAH more than 15 years ago.
I folded for many years.
One laptop was destroyed cause of this.
I stopped folding for many years.
Now I am using a script to do not destroy my laptop.

Why!?

Please! Implement a desired temperature during folding.
Not percentage of usage, not power limit. Temperature!
Cause donor knows recommended temperature for his CPU and GPU, not % usage and power limit for this.

2. If I am right, installation does not allow to choose - web or desktop client. Add such option, please.

My script is not the best:

Code: Select all

function LogMessage($message) {
  $timestamp = Get-Date -Format "yyyy-MM-dd HH:mm:ss"
  Write-Host ("{0}: {1}" -f $timestamp, $message)
}
while ($true) {
  LogMessage "Unpausing Folding@home"
  & 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FAHClient\\FAHClient.exe' --send-unpause  
  Start-Sleep -Seconds 25

LogMessage "Pausing Folding@home"
  & 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\FAHClient\\FAHClient.exe' --send-pause
  Start-Sleep -Seconds 10
}
PaulTV

Re: Temperature control feature for FAH

Post by PaulTV »

Unfortunately temperature sensors aren't standardized. In one of my machines I have a fairly cheap motherboard, and the standard Linux libraries (which are not installed by default) for sensing the temps don't work there. And I've also seen different output for different motherboards. And then there not just Linux, but also Windows and OS X.

Also, which sensor... CPU, or chipset, GPU... If CPU, CPU package or CPU hotspot of hottest core... Or GPU, the video card in my gaming rig has 3 temp sensors.

What I want to say is that the F@h client can't easily and reliably get the sensor temp from the OS, and it's not feasible for the devs to make a home grown method. If you look at HWinfo for example, that gets an update all the time for new hardware. It might be possible to have F@h check with HWinfo, if it runs, but then you are using Linux. I do understand your question, but unfortunately it's not a simple subject.

Hardware usually should throttle itself when it gets to hot. It may be possible to set the thresholds in BIOS, so that you can set the upper limit to a safer value than the default. But not all hardware allows for that level of control. If the hardware gets too hot and you cannot throttle via the BIOS, maybe the hardware isn't suited for folding. If you fold on both CPU and GPU, you may want to switch either of them. Laptops in particular have difficulties dissipating heat, you may be able to help it by raising it (if air inlet is in the bottom of the laptop), checking if it must be cleaned, etc.

Ryzen 5800X / RTX 4090 / Windows 11
Ryzen 5600X / RTX 3070 Ti / Ubuntu 20.04
Ryzen 5600 / RTX 3060 Ti / Windows 11
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

arthurdn

Post by arthurdn »

Thanks, guys!

Is it possible to limit FAH significantly on other parameter?

P.S. Unit deadline should be long or task should be small.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

You can change cpus from -1 to the desired number via FAHControl. I think Configure > Slots.

I get units that take less time using cpus 8 than, say, 16.

You can change the cause preference. Some may tend to have smaller work units. I don’t know which that would be.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

There is no web client.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

If your laptop does not have great cooling, you should only run cpu or gpu folding, not both. GPU folding cannot be throttled by the client. You’d need to power limit the GPU with some utility.
calxalot
Site Moderator

Post by calxalot »

Your script will not work right. When you pause folding, all progress past the last checkpoint is lost. Rapid pause/unpause will result in zero progress.
promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Post by promeneur »

If you use Linux try this

How to get a silent and cold PC
viewtopic.php?t=37572
promeneur
Hardware configuration: openSUSE Tumbleweed, x86_64,Asrock B760M-HDV/M.2 D4, Intel Core i3-12100, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 730, NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030, Edup-Love EP-9651GS Wi-Fi Bluetooth, multicard reader USB 3.0 startech.com 35fcreadbu3, Epson XP 7100, Headset Bluetooth 3.0 Philips SHQ7300

Post by promeneur »

For MS Windows, a clone of cpulimit

https://github.com/alquerci/cpulimit