Using Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU and temperature

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

markhl

Using Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU and temperature

Post by markhl »

I have done other distributed computing projects and am now supporting FAH. Some noob questions! I have a Dell Inspiron 3668 desktop running Win10 Home. FAH is using my CPU and my NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 GPU.

A: It is not using my Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU. The log says:
00:32:58:WARNING:FS01:Guessing ambiguous GPU to OpenCL device mapping for 01: gpu:0:2 KBL GT2 [HD Graphics 630]. Consider upgrading your graphics driver or manually setting ``opencl-index`` in this slot's configuration.
00:32:58:WARNING:FS01:Disabling beta GPU slot 01: gpu:0:2 KBL GT2 [HD Graphics 630]. Beta GPUs can be tested for no points by setting ``gpu-beta=true`` in the configuration.
Dell tells me that I have the latest drivers for the Intel GPU. Intel tells me to only use graphics drivers provided by Dell. Should I do anything with my drivers? I do want to fold on the Intel GPU, but not to mess it up!

B: Should I set opencl-index=true or gpu-beta=true? If so, how? Do I do that using the Add button on Advanced Control, Configure, Slots, slot 1?

C: On Light mode, FAH uses my CPU. FAH uses the NVIDIA GPU when Windows switches off the screen after 3 min. I think that is what I want. Is that behavior what you would expect?

D: Cooling. My PC fan is running fast, with occasional bursts to full speed. My room is near 21 C. When FAH is using the GPU, GPU-Z shows that my CPU is near 97 degrees C and the NVIDIA GPU is near 86 C. Is that too hot? Thanks!
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Re: Using Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU and temperature

Post by Joe_H »

A - The HD Graphics 630 is at about the minimum Intel iGPU that can complete WUs on time, but there often are none of the smaller projects they can do available. It took specific drivers with full OpenCL support downloaded from Intel to allow folding on one of these in the past, I am not certain what the recent software maintenance has been like on these 6-7 year old iGPUs.

Personally I would not bother. At best you will get some work, but the increased power usage by the iGPU will just make cooling your processor harder.

B - It only requires gpu-beta set to true, but again probably not worth trying as it appears the necessary OpenCL support is not installed.

C - Yes, folding on your GPU when Idlle is the default for the light setting.

D - It sounds like you may be dealing with either insufficient cooling, airflow, or dust and lint buildup on the heatsinks. 97 C is around the throttling point for Intel CPUs, Nvidia cards usually throttle for temperature reasons at around 90 C.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
markhl

Re: Using Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU and temperature

Post by markhl »

Thanks, and best wishes!