Is the app submitting the results or must I ?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

lance

Is the app submitting the results or must I ?

Post by lance »

As of yesterday I have installed ("Folding@Home503") & have it running on 3 pcs with fast dual processors & a fast cable connection.. I run the app @Max=50% of the processor.. The app seems to be running alright / no problems & is Not excessively heating the cpu / os since I have Plenty of cooling in ea pc..

My Question: Is the app "Folding@Home503" sending out the results OR must I submit them ??

If I must periodically submit the results please tell me how.

Thank You, lance
Last edited by lance on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ivoshiee
Site Moderator

Re: Is the app submitting the results or must I ?

Post by Ivoshiee »

The FAH client itself will submit the completed results.
lance

Post by lance »

Ivoshiee wrote:The FAH client itself will submit the completed results.

To: Ivoshiee ; Site Moderator,

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am glad that is the case & I do no have to learn how to submit the info.. I have emailed info about folding to a friend & I believe they will also install it as well as pass it on to many of his friends.

Thank You, lance
Last edited by lance on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

lance wrote:As of yesterday I have installed ("Folding@Home503") & have it running on 3 pcs with fast dual processors & a fast cable connection.. I run the app @Max=50% of the processor.. The app seems to be running alright / no problems & is Not excessively heating the cpu / os since I have Plenty of cooling in ea pc..
Hello Lance, welcome to the forum.

With plenty of cooling, you might consider increasing the CPU to 100%. Because fah runs at the lowest priority, Fah only uses the spare CPU cycles not used by other programs. It won't interfere with other programs, so crank it up. ;)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

And I'd add that the dual core processors can run 1 client on each core, so you could quadruple your folding- 6 clients at 100%.
http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_%26_SM ... le_Clients
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

lance

Post by lance »

1-15-08

To: 7im & Uncle Fuzzy,

Thank You Both Very Much for the information.

7im> I have the dot for fast set & the sliders all the way to the right=MAX.. Using task manager it displays each pc running at 50%.

Please, My following text is NOT to brag as a common acehoe or as if I were one of the chat punks that frequent yahoo chat rooms but to let yous know what I have to work with.. I expect you are experienced w/ this project and can help & enable me to be able to set up and produce or fold at the maximum rate possible.. Thank You

I have 2 pcs w/ "Core 2 Duo" Intel cpus & 1 w/ Intel "Dual Core"cpu .. 2 are Especially Fast w/ Very Fast DDR2 Gaming Ram & fast Mobds as well as fast ati video cards, 2 have HDs @ 10k RPM w/16mMB cache & everything is tweaked on all 3 pcs.. Although the os is 32bit when I run the full set of tests on PCpitstop the results place / compare my results w/ 64bit pcs so I know my pcs are quick & can produce plenty of work for this project as long as I have the help & guidance for set up beyond the typical install settings...

I have a 2nd sata HD running on my main pc as a 2nd master.. Vista Ultimate 64 Bit os is installed.. I have also installed the ("Folding@Home503") on it so whenever I am on that drive I shall also be folding...

I have many pc parts & a 4th working but dusty pc w/ a single core relegated to the dark corner of retirement.. The core is: AMD 2800+ on an old Abit KD7A mobd @333FSB / 2x512 GB DDR / 128ddr ati graphics card .. I may get it out of retirement & plug it into the group & let it also contribute to this worthy cause..

I have wanted to Run these apps faster & produce more for the cause but have not know how.. " UNCLE FUZZY" your post MAY? be an answer to my wish..TY.. Tomorrow when I am fresh I shall try & understand how to run multi clients. I only have the 2 hands & cannot really use 4pcs so I am Very glad to put them to work for this long term effort.

I used to use the yahoo chat client named: yahelite & therefore chose to use their team # of 67055 when I first installed the folding tool. If there is a better way # to set my tool I would like to know.

If either of you or any other mod has knowledge about increasing the folding speed ((BESIDES-What Uncle Fuzzy has posted)) please post to let me know.. TY

Again Thank You Both Very Much, lance
Last edited by lance on Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
uncle fuzzy

Post by uncle fuzzy »

Hey lance,

That 2800+ should be fine. My slowest desktop is an XP 3000+ OC'd to 3200+ (2.31GHz). I run the v6.0 Beta console client, configured for big WUs, and it runs through whatever I throw at it in 2-4 days.

Which "fast ATi cards" do you have? There is also the GPU client for some of the X1xxx cards, soon(?) to be for the newer cards. If you're willing to risk some installation headaches, there's also the SMP client for dual core cpus. Great points, can be a bit tempermental.

Click the WIKI link at the top of the page and do some reading before deciding on your final client setup. It's a little easier just doing it once, rather than adding and removing clients later.
Proud to crash my machines as a Beta Tester!

lance

Post by lance »

To Uncle Fuzzy

TY For the information> Later I will look at the WIKI & try to understand-the best set up to do folding at a Max rate on these pcs.

In Reply to Your Question; These are the cards I use>> (Installed & in Use)> Radeon X1650PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express ,, (Installed & in Use)> Diamond Radeon HD 2600XT 256MB 128-bit GDDR4 PCI Express ,, (Installed & in Use)>SAPPHIRE Radeon X1600PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X .

This Is A Spare Card >(Radeon X1950XT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express) >> Not installed but soon to be installed in the PC2 to replace the Radeon X1650PRO 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express

That older / 4th pc has this small card installed> Ati/128mb GDDR/ AGP 4X/8X.

Thank You, lance