SmartCards & SMP

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

MoneyGuyBK

SmartCards & SMP

Post by MoneyGuyBK »

Someone on my Team would like to know:

Well, one of my work laptops finally got fixed and Windows can use both cores. However, it occured to me that the SMP client requires you enter your username and password. So... what about systems that use SmartCard based logins? My guess is that this won't work....

Any ideas?

It's one of those card (often a company badge) that has the embedded chip. Instead of using a username and password, you insert the SmartCard and enter a PIN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_card

TIA

Peace
T.E.A.M. “Together Everyone Accomplishes Miracles!”
OC, S. California ... God Bless All
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: SmartCards & SMP

Post by 7im »

We have biometric devices (fingerprint readers) for logging in to some of our public kiosks. The fingerprint is associated with a network login and password. I can change the fingerprint reader to use any of my digits, but the login stays the same.

Windows still operates and validates using login accounts and passwords, which in the case of the smart card may be the Card ID number and his pin, or it simply replaces the processing of typing in the user account and password, but they are still there behind the scenes like my example.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
bruce

Re: SmartCards & SMP

Post by bruce »

00john00 wrote:Your Smart Card account is probably just a basic users account. I think you need an admin account to setup the client.
To get the SMP client to run on Windows, the installation process needs to create a service called MPICH2. Once that service has been created, you don't need to use an admin account . . . except . . .

With Vista, there are several different ways to install so you don't trip over the the new security restrictions of UAC. Some recommend (or require) running as an admin user and some do not.