screensaver?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Miss_Nancy

screensaver?

Post by Miss_Nancy »

Hello, my bio professor said I can run Folding At Home as a screensaver. How do I do this? And I installed the classic Systray version. Do I need the counsel one? and what is the counsel one?
DanGe
Hardware configuration: 2018 Mac Mini / MacOS Catalina
MSI Radeon RX Vega 56 (eGPU via Sonnet Breakaway Box 550)
3.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7

Re: screensaver?

Post by DanGe »

What operating system, client and version are you using?
As far as I know, only the Windows 98/ME (4.00) CPU client has a screensaver. For the rest (including Win 98/ME), the screensaver has caused problems. Is there any specific reason you want a screensaver?

Edit: I probably should not have assumed too early that you used Windows... :oops: The screensaver clients have been phased out though; they are only available on the older clients download page. For one thing, the screensaver was causing problems: since the client needed time to start up, it wasn't getting much work done since people usually interrupted it too early. You do not need a screensaver; the uniprocessor clients run silently in the background and will not interfere with any of your work since these clients were meant for set-and-forget setups. For a true set-and-forget setup, you can get the console client and run it as a service.
Miss_Nancy

Post by Miss_Nancy »

Hey Thanks, That makes a lot of sense... and thanks for the info about the screen saver...
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Hello Miss_Nancy, welcome to the forum.

To add to DanGe, the fah CPU client only uses the spare CPU cycles not used by other programs, and with today's modern systems, there are lots of spare CPU cycles. Let the fah client run all the time, you'll eventually forget it's even there. ;)

However, if there is some type of corporate requirement to only run the client while the system is idle (i.e. like what a screen saver does) then we can go in to more techincal detail to get that setup. (console client with task scheduler)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.