Affinity - SMP and GPU2

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

miningold

Affinity - SMP and GPU2

Post by miningold »

I am running the smp mpich client and the gpu2 client.
My OS is winxp and i have a intel core 2 duo cpu

I was wondering if i need to set affinity with my setup. If i do should i have it automatically chose or is there an optimum setting.

Thank you and please let me know if you need any more information.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Affinity - SMP and GPU2

Post by 7im »

No, but you may need to raise the priority setting of the GPU in the fah client setup from idle to low (slightly elevated).
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
miningold

Post by miningold »

Thanks for the help.
Just because curious what does raising the priority setting do and why would it be needed?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

The Console and Systray clients should share resouces equally, but they don't. The Console client takes priority by default over the Systray client. And the Systray client (GPU) produces much better when it gets all of the resources it needs, and doesn't impact the SMP client much while doing it. Better production overall.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.