Sleep issues with Windows 7

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Barry

Re: Sleep issues with Windows 7

Post by Barry »

FAH can read and set power options with Powercfg. I assume FAH could also detect key presses and mouse moves so it knows when to start counting down to sleep time. A crash due to FAH is at least partially FAH's problem and it can be fixed within FAH.
P5-133XL
Hardware configuration: Machine #1:

Intel Q9450; 2x2GB=8GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460; Windows Server 2008 X64 (SP1).

Machine #2:

Intel Q6600; 2x2GB=4GB Ram; Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 Motherboard; PC Power and Cooling Q750 PS; 2x GTX 460 video card; Windows 7 X64.

Machine 3:

Dell Dimension 8400, 3.2GHz P4 4x512GB Ram, Video card GTX 460, Windows 7 X32

I am currently folding just on the 5x GTX 460's for aprox. 70K PPD

Post by P5-133XL »

Powercfg is specific to Windows and not portable across multiple OS's (Linux, OSX) like FAHControl, FAHClient are. As such, it will have a very limited appeal to the developer.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Maybe delaying the start up of FAH when the computer wakes up would prevent a crash.
bruce

Post by bruce »

FAH has mentioned that they will be developing a screensaver. Obviously it will have some kind of interface with key-press activity and will need to be OS-independent. Presumably it will provide the ability to set your GPU to fold only when the computer is inactive. That's not the same as sleep -- in fact, it's just the opposite -- but I suggest we table this suggestion for now. Let's wait and see what it provides. Maybe it will provide a foundation on which a sleep management feature can be added.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Barry wrote:My monitor's driver is up to date ("windows has determined that your driver software is up to date").
Windows update only identifies drivers being up to date that match MS's data, you can be running an older version for months before it will identify the driver as having an update available. As already mentioned, go to the nVidia site to find out what driver is current for your GPU. As for the rest, sleep and how a system reacts to it is up to the OS, F@H is not going to be able to do much about it. Especially if the problem is with a bug in the video driver. There is a known bug related to this very condition that is fixed by using a newer version of the video drivers from nVidia, post which version you are using and we can tell you if that one has the known problem.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Barry

Post by Barry »

nVidia's automatic driver finder didn't work even after I installed Java and I don't know what to select to get the manual driver finder to work. All I know is:

bruce

Post by bruce »

That's not NVidia's driver finder, that's Microsoft's, and as Joe_H said, Microsoft is often slow to distribute new drivers.
You may find that information at http://www.dell.com under "support" but I recommend http://www.nvidia.com.
Try http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
Barry

Post by Barry »

Yes, I mean I went to nvidia.com, then I installed Java, then the nVidia's automatic driver finder ran and said "The NVIDIA Smart Scan was unable to evaluate your system hardware. Please use Option 1 to manually find drivers for your NVIDIA products", but I didn't know which options to select (product type, series, etc.) for that.
bruce

Post by bruce »

All three of the following should give you the same information:

If you look on the first page of the V7 log, you'll find something like this (yours will be different):
> GPUs: 1
> GPU 0: NVIDIA:3 GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti]
> CUDA: 3.0

If you go to the dell site and enter your product identifier, it will figure out what you have.

If you open microsoft's Device Manager panel, you need to look under Display Adapters, not under Monitors.
Barry

Post by Barry »

GPUs 1
CPU 0 ATI:4 BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6410D]
CUDA Not detected

(my computer is an Acer and my monitor is a Dell)
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

The Dell monitor is irrelevant.

And nvidia isnt going to have any drivers for you as you have an ATI card.

Go here for your latest driver:
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/w ... etect.aspx
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Barry wrote:GPUs 1
CPU 0 ATI:4 BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6410D]
CUDA Not detected
Ahhh, okay. I looked back over this thread back to the original post. I see the actual type of GPU never was listed by you before now. Someone else mentioned nVidia, then others and I took off from there. In that case, yes you have to go to either Acer's or to AMD's ATI support site to get updated drivers.

With a ATI GPU the latest driver known to be stable for use with F@H is version 12.8. A step by step guide for updating is located here, and a link to posts on another forum about getting the drivers to work for folding is in this post.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Barry

Post by Barry »

I saw that the driver date was 6/29/2011 and I went AMD's website to look for a new driver. All I found was the Catalyst Software Suite with Net 4 Support, released on 10/22/2012, which was a long download of more than just the necessary driver, but it worked! No more BSOD when waking up. The driver date is now listed as 9/27/2012, version 9.2.0.0. Microsoft Update was over a year behind.
Barry

Post by Barry »

Joe_H wrote:With a ATI GPU the latest driver known to be stable for use with F@H is version 12.8.
I just clicked "update driver" in Windows in case I initially did something wrong and it downgraded it back to the 6/29/2011 version! Then I clicked the rollback button and it went back to the 9/27/12 version. The update button said it will search the internet for an update...you'd think it would search the proper place. I guess it just checked what Microsoft currently has.
mmonnin

Post by mmonnin »

Don't trust Windows to install your drivers.

We gave you concise instructions on how to get 12.8. Please follow the suggestions given to you here to solve your problem.