Upgrade to 7.6.3 a trainwreck

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

RMouse

Upgrade to 7.6.3 a trainwreck

Post by RMouse »

Based on advice in another thread here I upgraded to 7.6.3. What an unmitigated <censored>. I cannot believe how unusable this is.

In the past, to fold I clicked on the client short cut and the control panel would pop up in a few seconds.

Now I click on the client short cut and for some <censored> reason Internet Explorer fires up with a folding at home page then trying to connect to my client. WTF?? I kill this because I never use that <censored> software. Whatever Folding at home is trying to do there is killed by me.

I try to get to the control panel and it takes 2-3 minutes of waiting. How in the world is this an improvement??

I have been folding for over one year and the frustration level of this is beyond insane. I just want to fold. How can a clean install fail so bad?

<censored> i hate this. The old client was so much better than this garbage.

Edit by Mod: This is a moderated forum which explicitly requires you to use language consistent with professional scientific discourse.
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Upgrade to 7.6.3 a trainwreck

Post by 7im »

Thankfully, many people disagree with you. If you don't like the web control, don't use it. Remove the -- start web control switch from the client shortcut. And since you only need fahcontrol to configure the client once, there's not much to complain about there either, especially not with that kind of language on a family friendly forum.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

Everything in the old client is still around. With 7.3.6, they added on a simpler browser-based control program for novice users called Web Control. I believe this pops up in whatever is designated as your default web browser; I know in my case Opera is designated as my default browser and it opens up there. Is there a chance that IE is still designated as your default?

With that being said, the control panel you're looking for is still around, it's just not designated as the default thing to open since they were trying to make the software more accessible to new donors and specifically designed Web Control to be less overwhelming in terms of raw information and options. You should see the FAH logo in your systray. If you click on it, a menu will pop up. What used to be called FAHControl is now termed Advanced Control; select this from the systray menu and you should see pretty much what you're looking for. They did remove the big Run/Pause/Finish buttons that controlled all slots at once, with that functionality mostly replaced by the Folding Power slider. You can see what all of the power options are towards the bottom of this page.

Chances are you are folding. The client is separate from whatever control you're using, and it's perfectly possible to run the client without either of the control software open. If you open Task Manager, do you see tasks for FAHClient and any number of FAHCore's and FAHCoreWrapper's?
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

Looks so much better to me.....I can't wait for the testing to end......
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

Yes there have been changes. Useful resources include the Installation Guides, the Introduction to V7, and for more in depth description of the software, the Intermediate V7 FAQ.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Testing of the current version is over. It's been released to the public for quite a while now.

New fah versions with new features will continue to be produced (after the current server upgrade project). Those will need testing eventually.
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

OK, thanks, Joe_H:

Why do I not get Alzheimer's tasks with client-type = advanced, only project 8900 tasks? I am obviously doing something silly..... :(

John
7im

Post by 7im »

JCM3500 wrote:OK, thanks, Joe_H:

Why do I not get Alzheimer's tasks with client-type = advanced, only project 8900 tasks? I am obviously doing something silly..... :(

John
You asked for an advanced work unit, and you got it. P8900 is the most active "advanced" project at the moment.

Also, the disease preference in the client is not yet fully supported at the server level, so your advanced preference setting takes precidence.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

client-type advanced means you're willing to run late-stage beta projects, nothing more. It does not guarantee work on any particular disease. There's an option in the control packages to pick which disease research you'd prefer to work on, but it doesn't work server-side yet, and even once it is working there's no guarantee you'll actually get your preference. I'm not entirely sure if there are any GPU Alzheimer's projects out right now; obviously if the disease you'd like to work on doesn't have any projects for a certain hardware type you won't get any for that hardware.

Project 8900 is one of a handful of projects for the new GPU core, along with 7810 and 7811, and all three are currently at the advanced stage of release. I believe they're weighted rather high, so if you're running client-type advanced you'll pretty much only see those three.
JCM3500

Post by JCM3500 »

Many thanks, Zagen30. All is now clear. While my preference is for Alzheimer's tasks which I have almost exclusively been processing, I will leave the Cause Preference set to Alzheimer's and process whatever tasks arrive.

John
zinc03gt

Post by zinc03gt »

I AGREE with the poster. I am folding on several machines at home and I hate seeing that web page open up as soon as I open the program and I'm getting tired of closing it. I like to see an option in configuration to disable it.

zinc03gt
bollix47

Post by bollix47 »

Right click on the Folding@home shortcut and select Properties.

Remove --open-web-control from the command line(Target) and click on Apply and OK.

There may be a shortcut in your Startup folder that you can modify as well.
7im

Post by 7im »

zinc03gt wrote:I AGREE with the poster. I am folding on several machines at home and I hate seeing that web page open up as soon as I open the program and I'm getting tired of closing it. I like to see an option in configuration to disable it.

zinc03gt
And next time, don't wait so long before coming here to ask a question that you get so upset about a feature so easy to change more to your liking. ;)