F@H Web Control Timing Out

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

draceena

F@H Web Control Timing Out

Post by draceena »

Greetings fellow folders. I've been folding for a few years now but never thought to actually update my F@H program.

Now that I have I almost wish I had not; I just cannot get the Web Control to work at all. I tried re-installing the F@H program the Reccommended way and the Expert way and
still the Web Control stubbronly refuses to connect. Looking at the Advanced Control, it says it is active and working like it should.

I am using Pale Moon browser (Mozilla based) so am not sure if that is where my problem is; I looked at all the troubleshooting FAQ's and could not spot anything that would be causing me this headache.

My general specs are:
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Intel i-5 750 @ 2.67GHz
Ram - 8 Gig DDR3
MB: Asus P7P55D LE
NVIDIA Gforce GTX 560

I hope someone can help

Drac
bollix47

Re: F@H Web Control Timing Out

Post by bollix47 »

Welcome to the folding@home support forum draceena.

Please supply the System Info and Config sections of your log as explained here.

Also, please describe any security software you may have running on your computer.

WebControl uses javascript so if you've somehow disabled it that could be the problem.

For example, if you are using an extension called noscript in your browser see this post.
Flaschie

Post by Flaschie »

I get a timeout as well when I try open webcontrol from the software, but if I go directly to the address http://localhost:7396/ it works. Maybe that helps for you as well?
billford
Hardware configuration: Full Time:

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti
2x 3GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 PC (Linux)
3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook
1.6GHz Core 2 Duo Acer laptop

Post by billford »

Flaschie wrote:if I go directly to the address http://localhost:7396/ it works
That's useful, thanks.

I assume the OP is using 7.4.4 and I'm on 7.3.6- it doesn't time out but your method loads a lot quicker :)
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Just noticed something- using http://localhost:7396/ causes the following to appear in the log:

Code: Select all

21:16:57:162:127.0.0.1:New Web connection
21:17:32:WARNING:Exception: 167:127.0.0.1: Send error: 32: Broken pipe
as the page is opened and closed (FAH 7.3.6, Linux, Firefox 28.0)

Doesn't seem to do any harm, but thought I'd mention it.
Flaschie

Post by Flaschie »

Just tried myself, and all I got was

Code: Select all

22:02:41:44:127.0.0.1:New Web connection
7.3.6 and Opera 12.16
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

If it wasn't just a warning, and with a superseded version of FAH at that, I'd install Opera to see if it was Firefox or Linux, but it doesn't seem worth the bother!
Flaschie

Post by Flaschie »

No, that's true! As long as things work then everything is good! But I thought it would be nice to know that I didn't get the error.
bruce

Post by bruce »

A 'broken pipe' means that the connection between two of FAH's components is no longer connected. It's a normal message when you close a control component.
(In other words, ignore the message.)
draceena

Post by draceena »

Thanks soooo much for all the help, it was NoScript getting in the way, for some wierd reason it popped up a warning when I tried going directly to the address http://localhost:7396/ but not when I was first setting up F@H

Why I did not pop up when I was first setting up, I will never know, but the web control is now working perfectly.

I had another quick question; is it possible to run the F@H program without going to the website or is that necessary? If it is possible how would I do that?
Jesse_V
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: OS: Windows 10, Kubuntu 19.04
CPU: i7-6700k
GPU: GTX 970, GTX 1080 TI
RAM: 24 GB DDR4

Post by Jesse_V »

draceena wrote:Thanks soooo much for all the help, it was NoScript getting in the way, for some wierd reason it popped up a warning when I tried going directly to the address http://localhost:7396/ but not when I was first setting up F@H
That makes sense. I run NotScript in Chrome and I remember having to whitelist sites to allow that to run. Web Control is powered by Javascript, so NoScript would block it by default.
draceena wrote:I had another quick question; is it possible to run the F@H program without going to the website or is that necessary? If it is possible how would I do that?
Web Control is just an interface. FAHClient is running in the background on your computer. It will run whether Web Control is open or not. It's equivalent to asking whether your computer will run if the computer screen is turned off. You can control FAHClient several other ways, including FAHControl, a much more advanced interface.
F@h is now the top computing platform on the planet and nothing unites people like a dedicated fight against a common enemy. This virus affects all of us. Lets end it together.
billford

2x NVidia GTX 980
1x NVidia GTX 780 Ti

Retired:

3.2GHz Core i5 iMac
2.8GHz Core i5 iMac
2.16GHz Core 2 Duo iMac
2GHz Core 2 Duo MacBook

Post by billford »

Flaschie wrote:But I thought it would be nice to know that I didn't get the error.
Yes, remiss of me... thanks. My excuse is that bedtime was approaching :wink:
bruce wrote:It's a normal message when you close a control component.
(In other words, ignore the message.)
I'm used to SIGPIPE and similar messages, but they don't show up when the "Warnings and errors" box is checked in the Log tab. I hadn't seen "Broken pipe" before.

Thanks for the confirmation that it's harmless :)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

draceena wrote:Snip.

I had another quick question; is it possible to run the F@H program without going to the website or is that necessary? If it is possible how would I do that?
Edit the startup shortcut for Folding@home and remove the --web control switch.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
draceena

Post by draceena »

Brilliant! I saw that shortcut switch but was slightly hesitant to play around and break something again, lol

Thanks again!