A possible problem with the ububtu version 7.6.13

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Badsinger

A possible problem with the ububtu version 7.6.13

Post by Badsinger »

Hi folks;

My internet is satellite so I fold on monthly data limits. I set the max-packet-size to 10 thinking more small jobs gave me flexibility. It's busy downloading 88 meg.
Do any of the configuration choices work? Finish doesn't on win 7 or 10. I realize you have more folders than tasks right now but that probably won't last forever. Please make the the options you give us actually work. Thanks and rant off.
JimboPalmer

Re: A possible problem with the ububtu version 7.6.13

Post by JimboPalmer »

Welcome to Folding@Home!

I believe the allowed values for max-packet-size are big, normal, and small. (these date back to dial-up modem days, I am not sure how many you will find marked small today)

I use Finish on both Win 7 and 10, once you press Finish, it will not download or start another new Work Unit until you press Fold.

I do not believe they have more folders than tasks now, although they did in April.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

The option also takes a numeric value. However the option working also depends on the researchers properly setting sizes on the servers. We do remind them of this, could you supply the Project number and download information?

To be exact, the limit is supposed to be based on the upload size which is larger than the download usually.

I have mentioned this to at least one researcher in connection with a Beta test WU recently, the upload file was 138 MB, and took over half an hour to upload over my DSL link.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Badsinger

Post by Badsinger »

Thank you Folks for the help;

The project is 11764, the download was 87.67 meg. The problem is, of course that now the upload will be similar. I watched this morning as my win 7 machine went from finishing to ready to download before i thought to pause it. I'd already set the start download option (that's the wrong name) from 99 to 100. I'd like to request a setting of 101 or 102. Since the completed number would never reach that, it would actually stop. Again, thank you for the help.
Joe_H
Site Admin
Hardware configuration: Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp4
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp2

Post by Joe_H »

That is what the Finish option is for. Right click on the folding slot you want to finish processing, the WU will be completed, uploaded, and no new WU downloaded.

There is also an option to have the client not start processing after a reboot or other restart. You can set either a folding slot, or add to the Expert tab to apply to all slots the option 'pause-on-start' and set it to 'true'.

iMac 2.8 i7 12 GB smp8, Mac Pro 2.8 quad 12 GB smp6
MacBook Pro 2.9 i7 8 GB smp3
Badsinger

Post by Badsinger »

Joe-H thank you for the reply.

I'll quote (with emphasis) my previous post. "I watched this morning as my win 7 machine went from FINISHING to ready to download before i thought to pause it." I use the advanced control on all 3 systems...Linux (Ubuntu) win7 and win10. I've seen all 3 systems go right back to folding. There are indeed other other posts on the finishing subject, an open ticket on github, and the github site shows no one assigned to it. I do have pause-on-start set to true on all 3 machines, but I'd understood that meant the machines would not start folding on boot, and they do not. I appreciate the help.
PantherX
Site Moderator
Hardware configuration: V7.6.21 -> Multi-purpose 24/7
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU:2/3/4/6 -> Intel i7-6700K
GPU:1 -> Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
§
Retired:
2x Nvidia GTX 1070
Nvidia GTX 675M
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
Nvidia GTX 650 SC
Nvidia GTX 260 896 MB SOC
Nvidia 9600GT 1 GB OC
Nvidia 9500M GS
Nvidia 8800GTS 320 MB

Intel Core i7-860
Intel Core i7-3840QM
Intel i3-3240
Intel Core 2 Duo E8200
Intel Core 2 Duo E6550
Intel Core 2 Duo T8300
Intel Pentium E5500
Intel Pentium E5400

Post by PantherX »

Can you please post the log file? Ensure you include the first 100 lines which will inform us of what the system configuration is and what the client settings are. If you require guidance, please view this topic: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=26036

Also, to prevent a new WU from downloading before the current one is finished, you can use this setting:
<next-unit-percentage v='100'/>
ETA:
Now ↞ Very Soon ↔ Soon ↔ Soon-ish ↔ Not Soon ↠ End Of Time

Welcome To The F@H Support Forum Ӂ Troubleshooting Bad WUs Ӂ Troubleshooting Server Connectivity Issues
Badsinger

Post by Badsinger »

I ran 2 more sessions to get fresh logs and learned I was creating my own problem. I hit finish in the middle and watched the window switch to ready as it completed. At this point I was intervening and manually pausing it. Since I wanted to log the error I let it go and after uploading is complete the window switches back to paused by user. The sessions would have paused if I had not gotten anxious. I apologize for my rants.
JimboPalmer

Post by JimboPalmer »

Yes the Fold button means both Un Finish and Un Pause, sorry about that.
Tsar of all the Rushers
I tried to remain childlike, all I achieved was childish.
A friend to those who want no friends