How do I Assign Multiple Clients?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

Shankovich

How do I Assign Multiple Clients?

Post by Shankovich »

I'm new to folding, as I have just built a capable computer. I'm running off a Athalon II X2 245 and I want to run the two clients, but I don't know how to. Could someone please give me a detailed guide on how to do so? Thanks much :)
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: How do I Assign Multiple Clients?

Post by 7im »

Hello Shankovich, welcome to the forum.

This was written for multiple v5 CPU clients (single threaded), but applies to v6 as well. This is the console client. If you want help with multiple Systray clients, just ask.

http://fahwiki.net/index.php/FAH_%26_SM ... le_Clients

If your computer is on 24/7, then the SMP client (multi-threaded) may be a better option. Again, just ask.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
Shankovich

Post by Shankovich »

So I simply open up two clients, set an ID to something other than 1, reset, and I'm good to go? I also notice my work sets went from 500 on single to 1500 on double. That's normal?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

2 seperate folders, each folder containing a copy of the CPU client executable. Then configure each with a different machine ID (1 and 2). Then run each of the 2 client executables, just like the WIKI said.

Not quite sure what you meant by 500 to 1500, but that didn't sound right. Give it another try.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
chrisretusn
Hardware configuration: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4000+
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+

Post by chrisretusn »

Make sure you do not copy all files from one directory to setup to another directory.

It is OK, to copy over fah6, mpiexec and client.cfg, then run fah6 -configonly and change the ID.

As mentioned before running as one client with the -smp option is an alternate solution.
Folding on Slackware Linux.
Zagen30
Hardware configuration: Core i7 3770K @3.5 GHz (not folding), 8 GB DDR3 @2133 MHz, 2xGTX 780 @1215 MHz, Windows 7 Pro 64-bit running 7.3.6 w/ 1xSMP, 2xGPU

4P E5-4650 @3.1 GHz, 64 GB DDR3 @1333MHz, Ubuntu Desktop 13.10 64-bit

Post by Zagen30 »

Shankovich wrote:So I simply open up two clients, set an ID to something other than 1, reset, and I'm good to go? I also notice my work sets went from 500 on single to 1500 on double. That's normal?
If the 500 and 1500 figures that you mentioned are the denominators when you mouse over the systray icon, then it doesn't mean all that much. Each WU has a certain number of frames, or timesteps, that are calculated. The length of each frame and the number of frames in a WU varies by project. If your second client got a WU with 1500 frames, then all it means is that that WU has a different number of steps than the WU your first client is crunching. Note that there are multiple definitions of the word "frame"- many people refer to 1% of a WU's completion as a single frame because that's what most monitoring clients use to calculate ETA and PPD.