Moving ongoing F@H "work units" to an other PC?

If you're new to FAH and need help getting started or you have very basic questions, start here.

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

CasterAnd

Moving ongoing F@H "work units" to an other PC?

Post by CasterAnd »

Hello. As I have been using my normal computer to test F@H a bit and to figure it out, I want to move all my ongoing F@H "stuff" or "work units" to an other HDD or computer. Where are the files I need to copy?

Also another reason for moving it is because it lowered my CPU clock rate from 3.3 to 2.9. Fixed after reboot even though it has still lost 0.003 GHz (not much though). I didn't have much of a cooling system back then.

Thanks in advance,
-CasterAnd
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Re: Moving ongoing F@H "work units" to an other PC?

Post by 7im »

Hello CasterAnd, welcome to the forum.

It's simpler to finish on the current work unit on the one computer, and then install fresh on the next.

-oneunit for v6 clients. Finish button for V7 clients.
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.
CasterAnd

Post by CasterAnd »

7im wrote:Hello CasterAnd, welcome to the forum.

It's simpler to finish on the current work unit on the one computer, and then install fresh on the next.

-oneunit for v6 clients. Finish button for V7 clients.
Hmm. I guess Ill move the HDD to one of the new pcs Ill use for F@H, as it's basically destroying my cpu at the moment. I might aswell go get Corsair H100... Ill add that to my bday and christmas wishlist :D
Thanks though!

-CasterAnd
alancabler

Post by alancabler »

Howdy CasterAnd. Welcome to the Folding Forum.
Not sure if moving your HD will help, but here are some things you might try...

First, reduce any overclock or bumped voltages. You might even be able to reduce voltage to cpu a bit on some mobos.

Second, see if you can adjust your client's "%CPU usage". On the v7 Client control, select "expert" (in the upper right) and then open the Configure button on upper left and click the Advanced tab.
You'll see an option to lower you CPU usage. I think that only slows down only one CPU core, but the effect is to make the other cores wait on that core to complete. This can really reduce CPU heat.

Third, search the forum for "sneakernet"- a way to move WUs between machines. People used to do it all the time in the days before fast internet, but I don't remember how...
Facts are not truth. Facts are merely facets of the shining diamond of truth.
bruce

Post by bruce »

Sneakernet was used "all the time" when people didn't have their machines connected by a LAN and a router. Moving WUs was a hassle, plus it provided several easy opportunities to fail to get credit for all your work. What it did do was allow multiple computers to process work which was upload/download from a single internet-connected computer rather than having each computer downloading/uploading them directly from the servers. As long as you're planning on a one-time migration of FAH from one machine to another, use -oneunit/Finish per 7im's recommendation and decommission that client. Use a fresh install on the other machine.