generally which is faster: nVidia or ATi?

Moderators: Site Moderators, FAHC Science Team

alpha754293

generally which is faster: nVidia or ATi?

Post by alpha754293 »

Regardless of the card/device specifics, which is usually faster, nVidia or ATi?
shdbcamping
Hardware configuration: XPS 720 Q6600 9800GX2 3gig RAM
750W primary PSU 650W Aux VGA PSU

Re: generally which is faster: nVidia or ATi?

Post by shdbcamping »

At present... NVidea... by a lot in points per dollar spent on equipment.
alpha754293

Post by alpha754293 »

shdbcamping wrote:At present... NVidea... by a lot in points per dollar spent on equipment.
So...CUDA is faster than Stream?
shdbcamping
Hardware configuration: XPS 720 Q6600 9800GX2 3gig RAM
750W primary PSU 650W Aux VGA PSU

Post by shdbcamping »

alpha754293 wrote:So...CUDA is faster than Stream?
Not neccessarily as it depends on the apps they are running. F@H is faster on the current drivers for CUDA than those for ATI/AMD.
Beberg
Pande Group Member

Post by Beberg »

They are by any practical benchmark about the same.

For the small proteins we often use, nVidia is faster. For large proteins they should be about the same again.

Not a very satisfying answer I know. Intel and AMD are just about the same too.
alpha754293

Post by alpha754293 »

Well...I'm wondering because one of the profs that I've worked with is looking into building a 64-processor cluster and I've showed him the CUDA stuff (which he hasn't seen before) and then I started digging up the stuff about ATI Stream and it's like..."ok...if I were to present this to him for his research, which should I recommend?" And that's how this question came about.

He writes his own CFD code in Fortran90 for his high speed air inlet research and he's trying to do it for under $15k and sub-$100/GFLOP BUT I think that neither CUDA NOR Stream supports FORTRAN right now (although I did read last night that you can call the cuBLAS and cuFFT routines from within FORTRAN), but it also mentioned that it has a hard time doing some of the hardware level parallelization which kind of negates the performance advantages when dealing with some of the matrix-matrix multiply operations.
mhouston
Scientist

Post by mhouston »

Soon you will be able use OpenCL on multiple platforms including GPUs, CPUs, and Cell with one code base. So, if you are getting started just now, you might want to hold out a little bit to develop a single code base that will work on multiple devices and vendors.
shiryunaga
Hardware configuration: Intel Core i3 2100 3092.91 MHz (99.77 x 31.0)

Post by shiryunaga »

interesting that just from F@H perceptive, we can see the difference performance between nvidia and ati, we know that RV770 so popular coz the performance they get for gaming, and ati has get good reputation from that, but if we look from F@H perseptive, nvidia still have better choice, maybe coz the PPD CMIIW
mhouston wrote:Soon you will be able use OpenCL on multiple platforms including GPUs, CPUs, and Cell with one code base. So, if you are getting started just now, you might want to hold out a little bit to develop a single code base that will work on multiple devices and vendors.
i hope that implementation can make something different, oh yeah can ati have new spesific project just like 59xx for nvidia, just to balance IMO
Folding@Home user since Feb 2009
alpha754293

Post by alpha754293 »

well...supposedly the Stream 9270 is faster than the Tesla C1070, but according to what you guys tell me, that Stream is slower than CUDA which thens makes me wonder "how accurate is the marketing crap that these companies put out?"
Grandpa_01
Hardware configuration: 3 - Supermicro H8QGi-F AMD MC 6174=144 cores 2.5Ghz, 96GB G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz Ubuntu 10.10
2 - Asus P6X58D-E i7 980X 4.4Ghz 6GB DDR3 2000 A-Data 64GB SSD Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus Rampage Gene III 17 970 4.3Ghz DDR3 2000 2-500GB Segate 7200.11 0-Raid Ubuntu 10.10
1 - Asus G73JH Laptop i7 740QM 1.86Ghz ATI 5870M

Post by Grandpa_01 »

Actually I would ask Stanford why and how they assign the PPD value. For some reason in Stanford's judgment the Wu's that ATI work on are not as valuable to them as the ones Nvidia work on. From what I understand both ATI and Nvidia GPU's fold at about the same rate.
2 - SM H8QGi-F AMD 6xxx=112 cores @ 3.2 & 3.9Ghz
5 - SM X9QRI-f+ Intel 4650 = 320 cores @ 3.15Ghz
2 - I7 980X 4.4Ghz 2-GTX680
1 - 2700k 4.4Ghz GTX680
Total = 464 cores folding
mhouston
Scientist

Post by mhouston »

Nvidia is faster with GT200, especially on the smaller proteins. WUs are benchmarked on ATI, but it's been awhile since WUs have been rebenchmarked, especially after the science updates. Originally, PPD was much more consistent on ATI across different proteins. Now there is swing but not quite as amplified as some of the Nvidia PPD swings with different proteins. There are not shenanigans in the PPD assigned, but the distribution of WUs and some of the projects that are Nvidia only can have a large effect on the PPD people see. When comparing a 770 to a GT200, on the really small proteins, the GT200 is is almost 2X a 770 currently. On the large proteins, that gap can narrow into a much smaller delta, approaching <20% differential. We continue to improve the performance of small proteins, but we are trying to avoid implementing 7XX only code paths, thus making 6XX paths difficult to maintain. Right now, ATI and Nvidia take very different algorithm approaches to folding@home.
alpha754293

Post by alpha754293 »

mhouston wrote:Nvidia is faster with GT200, especially on the smaller proteins. WUs are benchmarked on ATI, but it's been awhile since WUs have been rebenchmarked, especially after the science updates. Originally, PPD was much more consistent on ATI across different proteins. Now there is swing but not quite as amplified as some of the Nvidia PPD swings with different proteins. There are not shenanigans in the PPD assigned, but the distribution of WUs and some of the projects that are Nvidia only can have a large effect on the PPD people see. When comparing a 770 to a GT200, on the really small proteins, the GT200 is is almost 2X a 770 currently. On the large proteins, that gap can narrow into a much smaller delta, approaching <20% differential. We continue to improve the performance of small proteins, but we are trying to avoid implementing 7XX only code paths, thus making 6XX paths difficult to maintain. Right now, ATI and Nvidia take very different algorithm approaches to folding@home.
In your expert and professional opinion (and I know that your thingy says that you're an AMD developer), and someone has about a 2.5 month deadline to get results out the door; which would be a faster approach?
7im
Hardware configuration: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, 16 GB DDR3-2133 Corsair Vengence (black/red), EVGA GTX 760 @ 1200 MHz, on an Asus Maximus VI Hero MB (black/red), in a blacked out Antec P280 Tower, with a Xigmatek Night Hawk (black) HSF, Seasonic 760w Platinum (black case, sleeves, wires), 4 SilenX 120mm Case fans with silicon fan gaskets and silicon mounts (all black), a 512GB Samsung SSD (black), and a 2TB Black Western Digital HD (silver/black).

Post by 7im »

Grandpa_01 wrote:Actually I would ask Stanford why and how they assign the PPD value. For some reason in Stanford's judgment the Wu's that ATI work on are not as valuable to them as the ones Nvidia work on. From what I understand both ATI and Nvidia GPU's fold at about the same rate.
Let's not get off topic on to another points debate. Read the GPU FAQ and the Points FAQ for info on how they assign the PPD value. (Hint: It's primarily based on the value of the science that client can produce on the specific benchmark hardware for that client.)
How to provide enough information to get helpful support
Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.